Pale Ale Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
Brew day is here again. Doing my last extract brew before popping the AG cherry. So i am using up 9kg of malt extract in a pale ale to give a 55l brewlength at hopefully 1.053.

Malt Extract Syrup Pale 9000 grams 90%
Crystal Malt, 1000 grams 10%

Styrian Goldings Whole 3.2 % 90 mins 55 grams 23.7%
Target Whole 9.4% 90 mins 55 grams 69.5%
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 2.3 % 15 mins 20 grams 2.9%
Styrian Goldings 3.2 % 15 mins 20 grams 4%

Final Volume: 55 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 5.3% ABV
Total Liquor: 64.5 Litres
Mash Liquor: 2.5 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 32.69EBU
Colour: 17 EBC

Not quite got enough room in the boiler to safely boil 64.5l but plan on liqouring back 5l.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated before I start.

Cheers
:cheers:
AG

From what I have read; the Hersbrucker hops are not really traditional to the style......though I appreciate you may just be using them up.

Personally, I would drop those and replace them with the Styrian Goldings and maybe up the bitterness a tad.

ATB

jamesb said:
We brew a pale ale with Hersbrucker. It's lovely.

Really......I don't doubt it works jamesb, but they are never even a consideration in any of the books I've read.
I've 100g of Hersbrucker in the freezer that I now know what to do with though ;)

markp said:
jamesb said:
We brew a pale ale with Hersbrucker. It's lovely.
Really......I don't doubt it works jamesb, but they are never even a consideration in any of the books I've read. I've 100g of Hersbrucker in the freezer that I now know what to do with though ;)

It does work well. However, with the amount of crystal malt in that recipe, they may well be overwhelmed.

I don't care much for traditions or styles, I'm all for mixing it up abit. Problem is there's so many types of hops It's hard to work through them all :grin:

I shall have to get some and have a play :thumb:

I think Harvistoun Bitter & Twisted uses Hersbrucker as a late addtition, it has styrians in too. I'd be interested in your results as I have some hersbrucker I've been thinking of putting in a a pale ale.

Well it is just cooling down after many disasters (see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8690)

I was just trying to use up the hops but the Hersbrucker has a very citrusy nose which i thought would be nice.

Thanks for the imput I will let you know how it goes on.

Cheers

AG

Must get a sight glass as i have no idea how much wort i have. I have ended up with about 55l but only showing 1.044 after temp correction. HAve to get my act together next time as I plan an all grain next time.

Thanks for the support

AG

Back