PC Security - Hacked Bank :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyB78

Regular.
Reaction score
So it seems I picked up a nasty on my computer despite being very careful and running AV. Luckily they didn't get anything from my Bank account (though I'm pretty unimpressed by Halifax's security) but I'm feeling a bit scared of using my browsers now. The bank seem to think I had some kind of bookmark hijack or something. I need to get my system secure and sorted again ASAP as i work from home in an entirely web based job.

So this is what i've done so far...

Installed a new Firewall - Comodo
Ran Kaspersky Antivirus quick/full scan in normal and safe mode - no viruses
Ran quick and full Mallwarebytes scan - removed 1 object
installed and ran scans on MS security essentials - no threats
Installed and ran scan with Ad aware - no threats
ran spybot search and destroy - no threats

Anything else I should be looking to do or install? (please don't tell me to switch to linux as that's not an option)

All help and advice much appreciated.

system restore? or better yet, Do you have everything you need backed up on an external HDD? if so, I would consider formatting. If you don't, I would consider doing so immediately to avoid trouble in the future.

I did this just after uni, had everything backed up anyway and simply used an inbuilt Asus tool to reset to factory state and merged HDD partitions to maximise space. Never looked back. System is faster, got rid of all malware, as well as all the ***** I'd collected through the years that I didn't want but cba to manually delete.

It's a pain to do, but ideally you don't let the browser store login name or passwords, for anything. Type them in every time, from a list you keep on you all the time.
No, I don't do this myself... But we all should, really.

yup
remembering passwords is a must
leaving saved passwords on your browsers memory is a no go for banking etc

the very few passwords etc i forget are all in an super encrypted folder which i made for my eyes only

glad i dont bank with halifax if they let you REMEMBER PASSWORD ETC ON THEIR SYSTEM very strange that one

nobyipa said:
yup
remembering passwords is a must
leaving saved passwords on your browsers memory is a no go for banking etc

the very few passwords etc i forget are all in an super encrypted folder which i made for my eyes only

What happens if you forget the password for that folder?? :shock:

nobyipa said:
glad i dont bank with halifax if they let you REMEMBER PASSWORD ETC ON THEIR SYSTEM very strange that one

They don't. They give you the option to remember your username on their site but not the password. Any storing of usernames and passwords isn't stored on the banks system but locally on your PC. Your browser may prompt you and ask if you want to store the password but it's not a function of the bank's website, but rather a function of your chosen browser.

OP, it may be worth researching and seeing if there are any known conflicts between any of your chosen AV/Firewall programs. Sometimes when you have more than one running it can cause both not to work properly.

If you open a free current account with Barclays and say you want internet banking then you get Kaspersky internet security (does 3 comps) and a mobile version for your phone. Gives firewall virus and a bank safety part. Just tell them you are getting paid in cash and will be putting a few thousand through a month. I did this for the freebie but don't use the account.
Unusual for what you have run not to find any nasty's if they are there, are you sure it is something on your browser (don't take the banks word for it they just guess and blame you). You haven't clicked on a link from an email and entered your details, banks never send links to your accounts in emails, but I get several phishing ones a week.
Be careful about doing a system restore as if there is something on your comp it could have been there at that point already and as you can't find it now you will not know.

Hi try searching for Av's that run at boot from a CD (done this once but can't remember the name of the product) these tend to find things that normal AV miss as they work before windows starts (and yes their a pain to use but better than a full format). Or for less trustworthy sites try running sandboxie, this creates a virtual wall round your browser so nothing can infect your pc (unless you copy something risky out of it to your HD)!

Thanks All for advice. Think I've got my pc locked down now but going to run a few more things like the boot AV. Have upraded to the full Kaspersky suite with a few tools for occasional scans.

Think just going to be paranoid for a while now.

Just to note I'm very careful with what I open etc and use a password manager already, had probably just got a bit complacent.

andyakameatloaf said:
system restore? or better yet, Do you have everything you need backed up on an external HDD? if so, I would consider formatting. If you don't, I would consider doing so immediately to avoid trouble in the future.

I did this just after uni, had everything backed up anyway and simply used an inbuilt Asus tool to reset to factory state and merged HDD partitions to maximise space. Never looked back. System is faster, got rid of all malware, as well as all the ***** I'd collected through the years that I didn't want but cba to manually delete.

never a bad idea. windows 7 also lets you back up all of your old stuff, i've got about 20gb of **** that I will never access, but it doesn't run at all either - just in case something ends up coming up really urgently and it was on your old install...

re: this - make sure your windows updates is turned on to automatic too. :thumb:

What sort of router do you use?

Does it have a firewall built in?

What browser do you use? I seem to recall some are more 'open' to attacks than others, while some are just full of tracking bots. I can maybe search out the article if you want, it's been some time since I remember reading it so not sure which browsers got the worst results.

TRXnMe said:
What sort of router do you use?

Does it have a firewall built in?

What browser do you use? I seem to recall some are more 'open' to attacks than others, while some are just full of tracking bots. I can maybe search out the article if you want, it's been some time since I remember reading it so not sure which browsers got the worst results.

Router is the virgin super hub and has a firewall. Browser wise mainly used Firefox.

Going to boot up with Ubuntu in the morn and run clam av to see if there's anything still lurking.

Check your security settings brewers, worth making sure all up to date.

Back