Pear Wine Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weepete

Reaction score
Right lads,

Well I ended up grabbing a 11kg of pears at the weekend, so the night before last I washed them and crushed/chopped them in a sterilised 5gal FV. I had intended to go with the dry extraction technique, so in went 4.5kgs of sugar but there was a bit too much pear juice at the bottom. Ended up just topping up to 23l with boiling water, added a couple of crushed camden tablets and put in the corner.

I'll probably strain it on Friday night and get the fermentation going.

So I left this a bit longer than I had intended, but I strained it last night into my FV and sqeezed the pulp to get some extra juce out. Mesured the SG at about 1.088 after I had topped it back up to the 23l mark.

I added:
4tsp of pectolase
5tsp of tannin
1/2 tsp mixed acid
8 crushed nutrient tablets
Gave it a stir and pitched the yeast in

I haven't decided when to do the first rack yet, or whither just to leave it to ferment out. In the last fruit wines I've done I've racked after a week or so but anyone got any advice about where to take it from here?

I'm a newbie, but, learnt from my dad who isn't! :cheers:

If you have strained the juice from the pulp, I personally would let it ferment till the end.

I could be talking ****! :lol:

But that's what I would do!

HTH.

Cheers.

Roy.

I've heard varying things from different sources, from a week to when it has fermented out to when the sediment reaches a certain level. The way I do it is either when I think there's a lot of sediment or when it has fermented out (whichever comes first) unless the recipe I'm following states differently.

Thanks guys, I was just starting to think about racking this one but I'll leave it until it ferments out. Still a couple of weeks left to go minimum

Latest posts

Back