People will be paid to use less electricity on Monday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I probably don't use a huge amount at those times then.
That will be it. We saved 70p first time, and £1.42 second time, but we don't normally use much at that time. This is why they only announce the dfate/time 24 hours in advance - to prevent people 'gaming' the deal by saving their washing etc until a given slot to produce an abnormally high reading so that they can then save more. Not sure if I worded that very well - finished off the Christnmas brew last night!

How!? The best I've managed is about £1 of savings and that was by sitting with just one lamp on for the hour and no appliances running.

I was I bit surprised too, previous sessions have been around £3, one in the morning between 9am and 10am was only £0.36p.

They calculate the savings by comparing usage for that hour against previous usage for the same hour on previous days. I don't know if it's an average of previous days, a specific day, the same day of the week last week, the same day the previous year etc.

It was a 5pm-6pm that delivered £7, this was the invitation;
signal-2023-01-22-20-22-48-968.jpg

Which was more per unit than this previous one in December;
signal-2022-11-30-20-14-12-358.jpg

We have an all electric kitchen and it's likely we have the oven, hob, microwave, coffee maker on normally during this hour (as well as those lights), so not having any of that on this time and cooking ealrier/later could have saved a couple of kWh quite easily.

The low 36p payout in the morning however will be due to nothing normally being on then, so no capacity to do any better.

The scheme is not a great incentive for anyone who is already as frugal as Albert Steptoe, they are seeing little or no reward for their already hard efforts. Perhaps a better way would be a measure against overall population average use? Although those using the most (who are the target after all) may see any benefit as too hard to achieve and not bother, defeating the purpose.

Only saved money from reduced supply overheads can be paid back to customers.

I seem to remember some utility or other, can't remember what it was or if its still a thing, charging more for the first few units and then less per unit if you used more. Perhaps the reverse should be the case to reward thrifty consumers, the less you use the less you pay, like the Tax system just a little less broken.

Related to the current residential scheme, Triad and TNUoS have been used with industrial/commercial customers for years.

Using either a very similar setup to the public one we see now or an instantaneous sort term (a couple of minutes notice) notification to reduce consumption with potentially large pay backs. These customers usually also have a maximum demand level and are a charged a lot more if they consume above this level at any time. I work with building control systems and some (more innovative) sites monitor the main electrical incommer power and if it approaches their current maximum demand level the software automatically starts shutting off non-critical items like ventilation heating pumps etc., it's funny how the human life support stuff is deemed non business critical....

There is also a scheme where customers with, usually huge Deisel emergency backup generators, like data centres/hospitals etc. receive huge payments for running them when requested at peak times. These generators usually need testing once a month anyway. A big downside to this however is that it has seen quite a bit of opportune investment from "Deisel Farms", picking up the large payments and providing a possibly too easy and very dirty solution for peak periods. Maybe still better than stoking up a coal plant or two though?

Non of the above highlights any issues with UK supply, as Chippy has previously repeatedly given evidence for, it is just the managing of marginal use in the mostly most efficient way.

It seems silly not to allow residential customers to get in on the savings action now that so may of us have the technology in our homes to facilitate it, climate change or not I'm sure we can all agree that waste is bad?

As long as residential customers continue to only be charged for Real Power as opposed to Apparent Power or we'll all be taking our LED bulbs back out again, but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

https://www.sseenergysolutions.co.uk/customer-help-centre/help-and-advice/triad-warnings

It all depends on how much you normally use in that time slot. So if you normally run the dishwasher, washing machine, grainfather and oven during that time slot and you go to the pub instead, you will save a lot!
exactly you need to game the system and put all those things on the time they give you the discount but aren't, then don't when they do and get extra $$$ back.

This presentation shows how big the numbers are, the argument being we'd be in an even bigger problem if we'd been using more renewables without the infrastructure in place first. Nobody in a position of power (no pun intended) wants to 'fess up how much it really will cost us.

Latest posts

Back