Perry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevoo555

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Bit of advice please. I got some freshly squeezed pear juice in September I put it in a fermention tub with some yeast and told to wait for it to start fizzing. I kept it in the shed it was quite a warm September. But it never started to fizz. So two weeks later I added more yeast and yeast nutrient. Again never seemed to do anything. I haven’t done anything since so it’s still sitting in the barrel in the shed. Is it still ok and what should I do now with it.
thanks in advance
Steve.

Hi,have you got a hydrometer? you need to take a specific gravity reading to see if it's fermented, does it smell alcoholic?.

I got some freshly squeezed pear juice in September I put it in a fermention tub with some yeast and told to wait for it to start fizzing. I kept it in the shed it was quite a warm September. But it never started to fizz. So two weeks later I added more yeast and yeast nutrient. Again never seemed to do anything. I haven’t done anything since so it’s still sitting in the barrel in the shed. Is it still ok and what should I do now with it.
Hm, tricky. What did you expect to see when you were told to wait for it to "start fizzing"? What did you in fact see? What vessel is it in now, you said that first it was in a "tubl", but now you say a "barrel"? Have you transferred it from one thing to another (what, how)? What does it look like now? Can you add a photo or two? That might be most useful.

Hi thanks for reply
Here is a pic of it I did sterilise everything before putting it in. I have just smelt it and yes I think it smells alcoholic. Thanks

Attachments

• CB41BFE8-1653-4FCA-993C-143A755E73BF.jpeg
    CB41BFE8-1653-4FCA-993C-143A755E73BF.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 54
Bear in mind if you do try a hydrometer test it won't ferment to 1.000 like apple juice / cider. There are some unfermentable sugars anything around 1.008-1.012 will be completely fermented.

Looking at your FV you should have seen the air lock bubble, but only if the seals were all air tight. Otherwise you may not have noticed. 'Fizzing' is a bit of an exaggeration. During the ferment you may have heard a very slight bubble or fizz if you put your ear up to the FV. I doubt it would have fermented for any longer than 2 weeks if you added yeast.

I'd recommend a taste.

Hi Stevoo, looks like you may well have made some Perry. As @freester says, try a taste..sanitise anything you use to take a sample from your FV. I've never made Perry and I think I've only had a little taste when my wife had some once.let us know how it tastesathumb..

Latest posts

Back