pesky flies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Must be that time of year.
In my little baa...r that I have made in the garage I have 3 small pumps installed for serving my beers from the corny's. Nothing fancy just dalex taps on various plinths. Each has its own drip tray to stop beer dripping onto the floor. However I'm getting plagued by swarms of tiny flies ( fruit flies or not, who knows ) It appears that the residues left in the trays are attracting them. I do clean them out at least once every 2 days but the buggers still abound.
I'm wondering if theres anything, any liquid I could leave in the trays to deter them. Bleach is a no no as it will er bleach the black trays I think. Would a Star San solution be effective I wonder ?
Anyone else have this problem and if so how have you overcome it ?
I'm getting into bother for using the house fly spray too often...

I have an infestation in the cellar at the moment. Nothing is getting rid of them. I did a full caustic spray (with mask and goggles) of all the surfaces and under all the fridges etc. 3 days later they are still there. It takes about 48 hours for the flies to die in that time they I: find food II:find a lady fly so you have to get them on mass as well as get rid of any food. I have removed all taps and drip trays, all surfaces wiped down now I have ended up building some fly traps.

These are not mine but similar idea.
fruitfly2-1.jpg

fruit-fly-trap.jpg

fruit-fly-trap.jpg

Credit for pictures is unknown, its not mine.

Basically its some fly food with a paper cone with a small hole at the bottom. You can use clingfilm or cut the corner on a sandwich bag and keep tight with an elastic band.

Works a treat. Put some cider vinegar in the bottom and they all get stuck and then cant breed. I guess beer will work well but they are attracted and eat any fermenting liquids (Fruit, beer, sugar, wine etc) Apple cider vinegar as worked for me but I'll prob use some beer for round two!

D

I think some traps of cider vinegar are in order......

One trap made, jam jar, cider vinegar and a cone of A4 paper !

update after 2 hours....

thats 6 flies thats not gonna bother P D ever again.....lol........yea.

Latest posts

Back