Peter's Best Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many many thanks for so patient and forbearing gentlemen, I have finally learnt something new today. (happy smiling face)
I presume it's possible to introduce the sparge liquor too quickly and overfill the sparge tun!

PS How the hell did it get the name?

evanvine said:
Many many thanks for so patient and forbearing gentlemen, I have finally learnt something new today. (happy smiling face)
I presume it's possible to introduce the sparge liquor too quickly and overfill the sparge tun!

It is, although it does depend on what flow you've got through the mash or manifold.

In practice it can also mean that you can be tempted to sparge too quickly.

Nice set up BT, brew looks good too :thumb:
I must get a immersion chiller sorted for my next brewday.

Thanks for asking those question Evanvine, I had to re-read several times, but think I get it.
Have lots of 15mm pipe, so will have a go at building a VA.

Hi Guys this Valentines arm is new to me.... :wha:

Woluld i be correct to saythis is avoid a set mash?

When using this system does the wort get filtered correctly?

An understanding why you guys use this gadget would be appriciated :thumb:

it ensures the grain bed does not dry out and is covered by liquer at all times, bed wont compact and cause stuck mash or channeling and a very slight issue with oxidation of the grain, not sure if I'd worry about that too much. You only need to adjust the sparge rather than the sparge and outlet from the tun.

bones said:
Hi Guys this Valentines arm is new to me.... :wha:
An understanding why you guys use this gadget would be appriciated :thumb:
I fly sparge at approx 0.5L / min, the V-Arm helps me balance my output with my input. My HLT and Mash Tun are on the same level so without the V-Arm I have to balance the ball valve to allow the same amount of wort out of the mash tun, the V-Arm just helps me do this, maintaining the level of liquid in the Mash Tun. I plan to have an automatic underback so it will pump the wort from the underback into the boiler.

beer taster said:
I plan to have an automatic underback so it will pump the wort from the underback into the boiler.

I'll be building one shortly when my level sensors turn up. There's some electronic voodoo involved.

I think we should split this tg.thread off, we're detracting from the brewday post.

Back