PF Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adajam4

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just tried my first batch and I checked the FG (or what I think should be the FG as it has had 8 days since pitching) and it came in at 1.01 from 1.044. My first batch was a bit of a mess up, ending up with 10L in a recipe that should have yielded 23L, so I was expecting it to be a bit hoppy bitter but it was erm, very very bitter. There was some positives in there, sure and I opened to dry hop, which I did. Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone else's experience is of tasting at this stage.

I always drink the sample from the trial jar after testing the gravity. It gives you an indication if anything is going wrong, or hopefully how delicious your beer will be!

Beers can taste a bit rough and bitter at this stage and will usually smooth out with a hit of time.

Saying that. If you boiled enough hops for a 23L brew in 10L of wort you may have a very hoppy beer.

Thanks Simon

At this stage it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, just like you said, bloomin' bitter and I think it will be hoppy. It is ridiculously cloudy too. but still, I think I didn't recirculate through the grain, and that too is just a learning experience. As long as the intense bitterness should drift and there is something drinkable under that taste (i.e. that is normal) I am happy.

Back