PH Meter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do check pH, every time. I also check TDS readings for my water - before and after additions. I check temperatures. I weigh grain, hops, water additions. I measure volumes. I take intermediate gravity readings through the mash…

The point of all this is quality and consistency. If you’re happy with the beers you’re making, getting consistent results through repetition, and are not curious then you probably won’t bother. I think many of us though would like to achieve the best and most consistent results we can, and we genuinely are curious about this stuff. It’s also nice to have data to help explain anything unexpected.

I do find the efficiency of the mash is greatly influenced by pH but I find it does require about 8-10ml of lactic acid solution for a 19-21 litre batch. I'd prefer to use phosphoric acid but I haven't been able to find a supply of this in food grade in smaller than the huge bottles supplied to commercial breweries.

Anna

I do find the efficiency of the mash is greatly influenced by pH but I find it does require about 8-10ml of lactic acid solution for a 19-21 litre batch. I'd prefer to use phosphoric acid but I haven't been able to find a supply of this in food grade in smaller than the huge bottles supplied to commercial breweries.

Anna
Anna
I bought phosphoric acid from Geterbrewed 230ml for £3.96.

I do check pH, every time. I also check TDS readings for my water - before and after additions. I check temperatures. I weigh grain, hops, water additions. I measure volumes. I take intermediate gravity readings through the mash…

The point of all this is quality and consistency. If you’re happy with the beers you’re making, getting consistent results through repetition, and are not curious then you probably won’t bother. I think many of us though would like to achieve the best and most consistent results we can, and we genuinely are curious about this stuff. It’s also nice to have data to help explain anything unexpected.

Exactly. You put it much better than I could.

Anna
Hi Anna I prefer to use Lactic acid grain (Acidulated Malt)as my preferred PH adjuster or Lactic Acid in liquid dilution usually about 6ml of Liquid Lactic or around 200g of Lactic grain in 19-21 batches too. Never tried phosphoric though

Last edited:

Anna
Here we are @DocAnna , https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/phosphoric-acid-75-230-ml-406-g-p-3387.html?cPath=3_34
I find it easier to use when it's diluted to 10% or even 5% and it lasts ages. In fact I prefer to use acidulated malt.

I'm still not going to buy a pH meter, though.

Here we are @DocAnna , https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/phosphoric-acid-75-230-ml-406-g-p-3387.html?cPath=3_34
I find it easier to use when it's diluted to 10% or even 5% and it lasts ages. In fact I prefer to use acidulated malt.

I'm still not going to buy a pH meter, though.
Photo of my pH meter in use...

IMG_5722.JPG

Latest posts

Back