Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The view through the gap in the bridge at Tintagel, Cornwall.

1706551714514.png

Do you remember your parents’ or grandparents’ seasonal “swapping of the screens and storms”?
Does your old house still have round numbering tacks on the exterior window sills?
Those small metal tacks are intended to help keep track of screens, storm windows, and doors — screen or storm window #1 matches the sill numbered 1, etc. — as no single old house window is identical in size to the other.
Vintage tacks are often made of copper-plated metal, rustproof “white brass” alloy (zinc?) or brass with raised numbers to remain visible once painted and were sold in cards of 25, and numbered 1-25 or 26-50 (each window required three tacks: one tack for the frame/sill, and identical numbers for both the screen and storm sashes).

1706552037005.png
1706552062944.png

https://oldhousearchaeology.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/numbered-window-screen-tacks/

So it is window tax then

Only if you spell it window Tacks ;)

Do you remember your parents’ or grandparents’ seasonal “swapping of the screens and storms”?
Does your old house still have round numbering tacks on the exterior window sills?
Those small metal tacks are intended to help keep track of screens, storm windows, and doors — screen or storm window #1 matches the sill numbered 1, etc. — as no single old house window is identical in size to the other.
Vintage tacks are often made of copper-plated metal, rustproof “white brass” alloy (zinc?) or brass with raised numbers to remain visible once painted and were sold in cards of 25, and numbered 1-25 or 26-50 (each window required three tacks: one tack for the frame/sill, and identical numbers for both the screen and storm sashes).

1706624462394.png

Remember back in the day when you were paid weekly in hand (no wages paid into banks back then) my first wage packet was £22 probably gave my mam £2 board, happy days.

Can you remember your first pay packet?

1706641111476.png

Remember back in the day when you were paid weekly in hand (no wages paid into banks back then) my first wage packet was £22 probably gave my mam £2 board, happy days.

Can you remember your first pay packet?

View attachment 95229

Yep. I was getting £2 a week pocket money then left school and got a job in a factory on £35 a week. I didn’t know what to do with it all then after a month a friend of mine got me a job working for an oil company on £75 a week. I felt rich!

Latest posts

Back