PID fluctuating temperature mystery solved

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rparkera

Reaction score
I recently purchased an SYL-2362 PID and a PT100 from Auber Instruments (great service – highly recommended by the way). When I came to use the setup though (the sensor is in a brewing boiler away from direct heat sources) it gave a fluctuating temperature reading. When the wort was boiling - the temperature reading constantly varied from 92C to 104C, cycling up and down in a 1 - 2 second cycle. Removed from the liquid though it showed a steady and correct temperature when in open air. Mystery I thought :?

I contacted Auber today and they (Suyi Liu) got right back and said that there is a line filter in the controller for 50Hz AC power. You can change it to UK 50Hz - just press the SET key, enter code 1262. Then, Set 5060=0. The default is for US 60Hz (=1)

Problem instantly solved – whenever it was in use it was picking up the mains and the filter didn’t get rid of it until changed to 50Hz. Don’t recall seeing anything in the manual about it so thought that you guys might like to know too if you use Auber

just checked mine they were set to 1 so changed them to 0. will play with them tomorrow to see what happens.

I don't have that controller, I've got the 1512, but the 'blurb' reads the same for both.
Never had the problem but will be checking, thanks for the heads up R :thumb:

very helpful hint.

although the blurb on mine doesn't mention that code it is in the pid. when entered up pops 5060 so i have changed mine too!

i presume this is what aleman was referring to in one of the early posts to my question.

it still seems odd that auber don't put that in the leaflet with this model. then again i might have missed it but i don't think so.

TT

Considering the amount of brewers that use Auber PID's and their complexity I wonder if a users guide or a hints and tips page ought to be written for the FAQ section or a sticky if anyone could pull together peoples observations.
Sorry I can't step forward myself but mine is still in it's box until I'm ready to wire up and I don't know enough about them myself yet :wha: but I know people will be trawling through posts trying to find out how to set them up as the instructions are quite complex. :drink:

That's a good idea mm, especially when you consider most of those style of PIDS are often available from different sources re-badged, made in the same factory, probably in China.
It would take some pulling together, but it's do-able. I'd be happy to take that on, but it wouldn't be top of my priorities and could take some time :hmm:

There are however far more qualified people on the forum, and if they offer :whistle:

Latest posts

Back