pinappale turbo cider tastes awfull have i ruiend it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukeden

Reaction score
i started a pineappale turbo cider on tuesday and by friday it had stooped bubling away ive just wracked it in to a new botale and took a fg witch was 1.00 my sg was 1050 but i had a we sip and it tastes realy sharp and very bitter i only used the folowin to make it think ive went wrong somwhere

1.5L PINEAPPALE JUICE WITCH I BOILED AND PROBABLY SHOULDNT HAVE?
1L OF WHITE GRAPE JUICE
1 LEVEL TBL SPOON OF YEAST

can any one recomend a remdy or have i ruiend it any help really aprechiated thanks

I thinkcif its tasting sour/vinaigry then yes maybe somethings gone wrong. either its picked up an infection of some kind or its been oxidised. generally if it tastes rank i say dont drink it.

Boiling the juice wasnt wrong. i think its a good way of removing presevatives which can slow downn the yeasties. i also dont think its always incredibly important to do this as the yeasties generally win anyway. just check your cartons and if they have preservatives in the juice simply dont buy them.

Was everything clean and sterile before you started? doesnt "turbo" infer a starting gravity higher than 1050? is it not normal to bung a ton of sugar in there?

hi ukeden
it may well be fine, you'll need to leave it for a while. You have about 6 and a half % there which isn't bad. TC is always quite sharp which is a problem most of us have with it - we usually back sweeten by either adding some splenda to the secondary fermenter (when you rack it) or by putting a little sugar in the glass before you pour it.

Leave it in the DJ (or bottle) for 2 weeks, then check gravity to make sure the ferment has well and truly finished - and bottle. Leave alone for another 2 weeks then drink. I've never used pineapple as I know it can be difficult to manage - but you should be ok.

As meph says however - if there is a vinegar taste then it's probably ruined. Most of us hate to chuck anything and will give it every chance before doing that. Hold fine for a while and good luck!
:cheers:

thanks for the replys ive just left it alone and had a taste earlier and dosent seem to bad at all i will leve it another week and test again :cheers:

Back