Plum Jerkum - first time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleinfrontofme

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time trying this, my Uncle mentioned it and we had a huge hoard of plums this year. I found a recipe and it's currently sat in the kitchen in the demijohn with a single Camden tablet crushed. Tomorrow I'll add the teaspoon and a bit of wine making yeast, airlock and leave. Has anyone else tried this before? Any tips?

Thanks James

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_120048765.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230918_120048765.MP.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi all,

First time trying this, my Uncle mentioned it and we had a huge hoard of plums this year. I found a recipe and it's currently sat in the kitchen in the demijohn with a single Camden tablet crushed. Tomorrow I'll add the teaspoon and a bit of wine making yeast, airlock and leave. Has anyone else tried this before? Any tips?

Thanks James
I haven't made country wines for ages, but I always understood, that after the first, violent, fermentation was over, it was important to fill the demijohn to the bottom of the neck to minimise oxidation. If there's not enough juice, some sugary water would suffice.
Don't take this amis, but your demijihns look half empty and prone to oxidation or worse, acetic acid contamination, which can only work in the presence of air.
The acetic acid bacterium, by the way, it's not killed by Campden tablets.

Thanks for the info. The left hand demijohn is the plum jerkum I did yesterday, was going to add the wine what this morning and fit airlock. After this process, maybe a week or so? Should I the. Fill the demijohn with the sugary water?

The narrow rum on the right I did 2 years ago. Didn't know I should have filled it, but it had an airlock fitted the whole time, would this have avoided the acetic acid issues?

How do I know if it's been contaminated? Thanks

Thanks for the info. The left hand demijohn is the plum jerkum I did yesterday, was going to add the wine what this morning and fit airlock. After this process, maybe a week or so? Should I the. Fill the demijohn with the sugary water?

The narrow rum on the right I did 2 years ago. Didn't know I should have filled it, but it had an airlock fitted the whole time, would this have avoided the acetic acid issues?

How do I know if it's been contaminated? Thanks
If it had been contaminated, it would have turned to vinegar, so since it hasn't, you're OK.
Fill the demijohn up as soon as the fermentation has subsided and it's no longer likely to start bubbling through the airlock. When you rack the wine off the lees, top it up again.

If it had been contaminated, it would have turned to vinegar, so since it hasn't, you're OK.
Fill the demijohn up as soon as the fermentation has subsided and it's no longer likely to start bubbling through the airlock. When you rack the wine off the lees, top it up again.
Thank you. Doesn't smell vinegary, so should be fine. Maybe filtering might help or I'll just rack it as is.

Checked the recipe and it says fit airlock for 2-3 months, after that period I guess I'll rack it. So at that stage I siphon off, Camden tablet in new recepticle, make sure it's filled to the top of the bottle and seal?

Thanks again, appreciate your help!

I haven't made country wines for ages, but I always understood, that after the first, violent, fermentation was over, it was important to fill the demijohn to the bottom of the neck to minimise oxidation. If there's not enough juice, some sugary water would suffice.
Don't take this amis, but your demijihns look half empty and prone to oxidation or worse, acetic acid contamination, which can only work in the presence of air.
The acetic acid bacterium, by the way, it's not killed by Campden tablets.
Ah, just posted again but remember you mentioned this. I'll leave as is for now, let it ferment and bubble away, and then I'll top up with sugar water. How long does fermentation last? Once it's done and stopped bubbling I guess do I remove airlock, top up with the sugar water to near the top and re fit the airlock? And leave for the recommendation of 2-3 months? Thanks 👍

Back