Poor bottle carbonation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghouse gav

Reaction score
Bottled a brown ale last sat. Normally I usevthe carbonation drops because I'm lazy but decided to try a batch prime in a second fv. I followed the "how to" guide on here and used 80grames of sugar. Opened my first bottle last night just to see how it was going. It's really not fizzy. It tastes great but not fizzy. I've kept the bottles at 21 degrees as I normally do.
Will time make it better?

Batch priming is the way to go and its NOT the lazy option. The drops are a "one size fits all" solution and are far from perfect. I will use them again but only with brews I think they work with. 2 weeks should allow carbonation to occur from what I have learned here, 3 to 4 weeks is even better. As for the 80gms of sugar you used, this is at the lower end of the scale and will not make any beer/ale really fizzy. For some 40pt lager kits up to 200gms can be added but around 150gms seems to be in the very fizzy region. Your flat style of bitter/ale will take 80/85gms of priming sugar. Most of the kits Ive done take 100/120gms of sugar and are fizzy enough but never like a can or bottle from the off licence. The temperature at which you serve you beer will also affect the overall fizzyness of your pint. Enjoy your beer !!!

Its still early days Gav, though it should be showing maybe a bit more carbonation than you described. I'd give it another week in the warm then in the cool for a couple of weeks

Back