Pork Pie Recipe Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever tried Tittertons butchers pies and sausage rolls G, they're fairly local to us (Stockport). They make pies/sausage rolls etc on site fresh daily, well worth going but not before noon as they won't be ready...making me hungry thinking about it :grin:

I know Brompton! My parents and I used to go up to Sawdon each September in the caravan. There's a very good pub in Sawdon, the Anvil Inn. The food is delicious, and (from what I remember) their beers come from local microbreweries.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
I know Brompton! My parents and I used to go up to Sawdon each September in the caravan. There's a very good pub in Sawdon, the Anvil Inn. The food is delicious, and (from what I remember) their beers come from local microbreweries.

Small world. :thumb: I know it by name,haven't been (...will soon!) but I see they have a pork pie night, eating and judging! It would be about a 6 mile stagger home for me. We can't get out often at nights, but that's definitely top of the list when we do.

If you cut your pork up rather than mince it, you get a nice meaty texture rather than a homogeneous lump. Looks homemade, but classy too.

When you have you mixture ready, fry some in a pan to check seasoning.

If you dont want to boil a trotter for jelly, use gelatin and some good quality meat stock instead.

Finally if your pie springs a leak when you pour the jelly in, plug any holes in the pastry with chilled butter.

Hope this helps, and apologies for bumping an old thread.

Steve.

You are welcome. Confess I would love to know how you are going about the homemade stilton; not sure anyone else picked up on that!

Making a good cheese is on my bucket list ;)

Its going better than the last one but i don't think it is going to survive till Christmas it seems to have super accelerated ageing and is beginning to collapse like a brie.

You can see my thread here.

Not to worry I have 3 gallons of milk in the freezer which will get made into cheese next week. :D

Could be a hundred and one things cheese making seems to be less forgiving than AG. I think it is most likely to be not pressing enough whey out (though stilton is not a pressed cheese) and also temps and humidity.

Back