porter kit or partial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malty_me

Reaction score
Hi I'm just starting out and I need some advice. I'm a big real ale drinker and iv tried hundreds of different ales. My favorite one is badgers poachers choice. As my name suggests I am a fan of malty sweet ales. I was wondering if there are any porter kits out there that will suit my tastes. Or a partial recipe that would bring the desired effects. I'm really looking for a ruby/dark ale with a sweet malty flavor and minimal hoppy bitterness. Any help would be great thanks

if your up for it extract will be better than kit brewing but if you haven't brewed before i would try a kit or 2 first just to get the hang of it , have a look at some of these viewforum.php?f=58 if not re post and i'll see if i have an extract recipe and here is a how to for extract brewing that is very useful viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2672 :cheers:

Ok thanks mate. I would like to do a darker ale for my first. Any kits you can recommend. Iv read through the reviews and not a lot I fancy tbh. I would probably enjoy most of them but for my first I want to do something a bit special. Iv also heard that most kits can end up a bit weak and watery and I want something thick and strong flavored with an abv above 5%

You could do a double Coopers Irish stout plus 2kg of fermentables. Gives a beer at about 9% abv but requires a good 6 months conditioning. I can not comment on the mouth feel as mine is still conditioning but i added some cocoa powder to mine to make a chocolate stout.

I got the idea from MDs Coffee Stout

If 9% abv is too high though you could cut back on the fermentables

personally 9% is too high , it may sound good but will be un drinkable , some beers do have such a high vol but they usually involve things like candy sugar that ferment without giving a 'ohh my god that's strong' taste to it , if i was you i would buy a kit (if you can afford it by a quality 2 can kit which are better but pricey ) and maybe add some light dried spray malt poss around 1kg (if 2 can kit) or around 2kg (if cheaper 1 can kit) this should give you a brew from anywhere from 4.5% to 6% depending on what you bought . Can't say which as ive only brewed a few kits myself and porters wasn;t what i did do .

Cheers gents ill let you know how things go and the recipe I go for. Really appreciate the advice. Hoping to get my stuff next week so won't be long. My Mrs uncle owns a pub so ill be getting a load of grolsch bottles to bottle up with :)

Did my first kit yesterday. Decided to go for something simple. Bought a bitter kit and replaced half the sugar with light spray malt. Added slighty more sugar than advised to get a higher abv I did notice that the fermenting vessel didn't have an airlock. The man at the shop said to just loosely put the lid on. Is this ok or will I have problems? Will let you all know how it turns out

Good porter kits are hard to come by but you could always get a decent bitter kit and some chocolate malt to steep in. You don't need a whole lot of it and it'll deliver the deep flavour you're after.

Latest posts

Back