porter recipe for commentary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurtpint

Landlord.
Reaction score
Since it's practically Christmas already (ho hum), a dark beer for those winter nights is called for. I was thinking of making something along the lines of Durden Park historic style porters but then started to get ideas and came up with this recipe after fooling around with the trial version of BeerAlchemy. Comments and suggestions would be very welcome, especially as regards to the amount of black and choc malts in relation to brown malt. The crystals are 100L and 200L - I'm hoping to get a hint of butterscotch from the latter... I'll be doing my best to let this one mature at least 3 months before drinking (the obligatory samples notwithstanding :D ).

Recipe: Carryyerownbloodyluggage Porter
Style: 12B-Porter-Robust Porter

Recipe Overview

Final Batch Volume: 21.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG
Expected OG: 1.054 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.4 %
Expected ABW: 4.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 48.0
Expected Color: 30.8 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 20 degC

Fermentables
US Pale Ale Malt 5000 g (78.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt 600 g (9.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 200 g (3.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 200 g (3.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Extra Dark Crystal 150 g (2.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Dark Crystal 150 g (2.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Black Malt 100 g (1.6 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Fuggle (4.5 % alpha) 40 g Loose Whole Hops used All Of Boil
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 40 g Loose Whole Hops used All Of Boil
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 10 Min From End

Yeast: Danstar-Nottingham

looks good tyo me!

There was a thread somwhere on here mentioning about adding oats to a brew to get better ehad retention so i might have added 100g of oats as well.

I can never wait the full 3 months no matter what i try. :lol:

Cheers c'nr. Good call on the oats. I think I'll use some flaked barley instead (had all but forgotten that I still have some) and save the oats for a proper oatmeal porter/stout I intend to be doing at some point... Having dabbled with AG for a couple of years now I have accumulated a decent stash of previous brews and it definitely makes that wait for the maturation more bearable. A mate promised me a few plastic crates for 0,5L bottles so maybe I'll take this porter down to the relative safety of my cellar to get the temptation out of sight...

Latest posts

Back