post boil hops question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
the beer i have planned for tomorrow has post biol hops in it and ive never had this in the other beers ive brewed
could someone be kind enough to explain how to

from what ive read and after a quick search on google you let the wort chill to around 80 oC after the boil then add hops to steep for 20-30 mins, then chill, pitch yeast etc.. the good old google search never lets you down.

Post boil I assume means either flame out hops or dry hops.

It is very common to add some hops after the boil has finished to enhance the aroma. Generally over half my hops are either in the biol for less than half an hour or at flame out. Aroma comes from the oils in the hop which will evaporate off at high temperatures. So if you wait till the wort has cooled to about 70degC (need to check the exact temp) before you add the hops then the oils will remain and the aroma with it. I leave my flame out hops in for usually 10mins, roughly speaking the more hops and the longer time the more aroma :D

Dry hopping is something I rarely do. When I do I add about 50g of good flavour/aroma hops to the secondary conditioning generally for about 3 days.

Does this help? :wha:

My post boil hops go in about 5 mins after I turn the gas hob off

I also sometimes dry hop in a mesh bag after 2-3 weeks when I move beer to a secondary fermenter to condition.

Latest posts

Back