Pressure barrel Re-pressurisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliglynn

Reaction score
I got a pressure barrel full of lovelly beer, only whilst it was fermenting it started to leak out around the tap fitting with the pressure (all over my carpet!!! :x So I released some of the pressure through the tap with the barrel on its back to alleviate the leak (but left some pressure in there).

Now it's come to time to drink it... 3 pints in and the pressure's run out... it now dribbles out very slowly!

As this is the first time i've made home brew, I need some advice please!

1. Is it advisable to loosen the cap at the top of the barrel while pouring to get it out easier?

2. How do I re-pressurise? Do I need to get a special cap to fit CO2 canisters onto? My barrel is a plastic "youngs" barrel with a white top cap, with some white "seal?" in the centre but no fitting (that I know of) to fit CO2 canisters to. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Home-Brewing/Youngs-Brew-Pressure-Barrel-5-Gallon/invt/0022554

3. Does introducing CO2 to the barrel make the beer "Fizzy"?

1: The problem with loosening the cap to let air in is that the oxygen in air will allow your beer to go stale.

2: You can get caps which take the small CO2 bulbs (like this http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/index.php ... valve.html ) or even a small CO2 cylinder (the S30 type). Or you can get the valves on their own, but I'm not sure how successfully a valve would go on one of the basic pressure release caps, as the release valve sits in a recess on the one I have, whereas the pin valve caps are flat.

3: Yes, the CO2 is what makes beer fizzy. The more CO2 there is dissolved in the beer, the fizzier it will be.

Ok - I was just wanting to put some CO2 in the head space for the purpose of dispensing the beer - don't really want my brew to go all fizzy. Maybe I could just put a little CO2 in when I want to pour a few pints. I wouldn't want to over-pressurise it and risk it leaking out around the tap again either... that'd be a waste of beer :O

Would swapping the cap over for such a replacement let in enough oxygen to ruin the beer inside?
If so, Perhaps i'll just put up with it pouring slowly... after all, good things come to those who wait!

Swapping the cap shouldn't be a problem.

You don't have to add CO2 all at once and make the beer fizzy . . .even with an S30 valve there is a considerable degree of control. . ..if you screw the cylinder down onto the valve gently you can just crack the valve open until you hear the slightest hissing . . . then open the tap and pour a beer. . . .when finished just back the cylinder off until the hissing stops. . . . sorted just keep enough pressure on the beer to pour. . . .Or you can adopt the 1 second fully open squirt approach, and pour you beer into a jug then into glasses . . . but it won't make the beer fizzy . . . One Squirt . . . draw beer until flow stops . . . another squirt. . . . release any excess pressure at the end of the night.

Avoid the Sparklet bulbs they are costly and you deliver 8g of gas in one hit . .. much more than is required.

Ok cheers for the advice - will order a cap and some CO2. :thumb:

Once i've drained my barrel i'll have to have a look at why that tap fitting is leaking under pressure... maybe it needs re-sealing? Has anyone had any experience of this problem or fixing it?

:drink:

I'm having leaking round my tap. Its a Youngs barrel fitted with the 2" barrel cap S30 valve.

My question is does this type of cap have a pressure release system? If not then that is probably the reson why I've encountered this problem during the second fermentation in the barrel.

I've been looking on the Art Of Brewing website and I'm starting to wonder whether these Young's barrels are deficient. Perhaps I'd be better off with a Brewmaster or King Keg? Is the leaking problem due to having the wrong cap fitted at a time where pressure is constantly mounting in the barrel or do I just have a defective barrel or tap even?

This was my first brew, a lager (Finlandia) and I think I've made many mistakes along the way. Should the beer taste a bit sour after the first fermentation?

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalo ... ___17.html

Back