Pressure Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdpread

Reaction score
371C9CA1-161B-4EF8-AE72-68E8A06E3559.jpeg

Hi, I could do with some help using my new pressure barrel.

My understanding was 'transfer beer from fermentation bucket into the barrel and stick a CO2 capsule in the top of the barrel to provide pressure and carbonation'.

Not quite sure what I have bought (?) but doesn't seem to accept any CO2 capsule.

I don't want to get it wrong again and waste more money so info on what I have bought and what I need to buy would be very helpful.

(FYI I'm brewing a pilsner)

Many thanks,

Max

Attachments

• 850020E3-03E3-4388-8472-494A8B833FA8.jpeg
    850020E3-03E3-4388-8472-494A8B833FA8.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 36
1628582947264.png

You've got the standard cap there. You need to buy one of these. You can use that cap but you won't be able to re-pressurise your barrel as the beer goes down.

Also - when you've got your new cap, and you've transferred your beer into your PB, don't add CO2 from a bulb immediately - let the brew ferment on the priming sugar to build pressure. It'll take a day or so.

View attachment 52349
You've got the standard cap there. You need to buy one of these. You can use that cap but you won't be able to re-pressurise your barrel as the beer goes down.

Thanks Stevieboy, so the cap I have would just be used for beers that require no carbonation or?
1628585479953.png

1628585463199.png

So I need the cap with the pin in it to break the the capsule seal? And the 1st image would be for a different type of CO2 capsule?

Also with regards to temperature ,I'm assuming this is just serving preference and I can just put it in a fridge and take it out when I want to serve it? (planning on drinking most if in one go)

1628587562589.png

Lastly, will I need one of these holders for the CO2 bulb?

Thanks for the tip on the priming sugar aswell.

Cheers,

Max

Attachments

• 1628585420933.png
    1628585420933.png
    257 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
As above, and a pressure barrel is not ideal for a pilsner you won't be able to carbonate to the correct level

Thanks rodcx500z,

Could you elaborate on why a pressure barrel will not allow me to carbonate to the correct level for a pilsner?

A pressure barrel is only rated to max 15psi and are used mainly for low carbonated cask style beer ie bitter which are carbed to 1.5 volumes for pilsner you need to carb to 2.5 or 3 volumes, this is one of the reasons i got rid of my pb's i had 4 i moved over to corny kegs and gas, hope this helps

Thanks Stevieboy, so the cap I have would just be used for beers that require no carbonation or?
View attachment 52352
View attachment 52351
So I need the cap with the pin in it to break the the capsule seal? And the 1st image would be for a different type of CO2 capsule?

Also with regards to temperature ,I'm assuming this is just serving preference and I can just put it in a fridge and take it out when I want to serve it? (planning on drinking most if in one go)

View attachment 52353

Cheers,

Max
Max - yes you'll need the pin valve cap for the bulbs and a bulb holder, which screws down onto the cap to pierce the bulb and release the gas.

Thanks Stevieboy, so the cap I have would just be used for beers that require no carbonation or?So I need the cap with the pin in it to break the the capsule seal? And the 1st image would be for a different type of CO2 capsule?

Cheers,

Max

The S30 cap is for a Sodastream gas bottle which, to be honest would be cheaper than gas bulbs in the long run, but means you'd need a regulator as well.

With regard to your question about serving temperature yes, you could take it out of the fridge when you want to serve it, but unless you're very, very careful and/or lucky, you'll disturb all the sedinent that's settled out.

Therefore, you'd need to let it sit at least overnight to let it all settle out again, so you'd need to find some way of keeping it cold, unless you can find a way of pouring while it's in the fridge.

Over the years I've not read as many positive things about pressure barrels as I have about Cornelious kegs etc and only used the one I had a couple of times for ales with probably not much success. That's not to say they're not great and there are threads on various forums where users have great success.

As you want to serve a lager, personally, I'd buy some bottles of beer (the thicker the better), some caps and a capper and if you've not got enough empty bottles by the time you need to bottle the beer, put the rest in sparkling water bottles. These will tolerate higher pressure and be easier to keep cold.

Save the pressure barrel for ale or see if you can return it.

The S30 cap is for a Sodastream gas bottle which, to be honest would be cheaper than gas bulbs in the long run, but means you'd need a regulator as well.

With regard to your question about serving temperature yes, you could take it out of the fridge when you want to serve it, but unless you're very, very careful and/or lucky, you'll disturb all the sedinent that's settled out.

Therefore, you'd need to let it sit at least overnight to let it all settle out again, so you'd need to find some way of keeping it cold, unless you can find a way of pouring while it's in the fridge.

Over the years I've not read as many positive things about pressure barrels as I have about Cornelious kegs etc and only used the one I had a couple of times for ales with probably not much success. That's not to say they're not great and there are threads on various forums where users have great success.

As you want to serve a lager, personally, I'd buy some bottles of beer (the thicker the better), some caps and a capper and if you've not got enough empty bottles by the time you need to bottle the beer, put the rest in sparkling water bottles. These will tolerate higher pressure and be easier to keep cold.

Save the pressure barrel for ale or see if you can return it.

Thanks Binkei,

Seems most people prefer the cornelious kegs. I will move over when I can afford buying all the bits.

I've been using bottles up until now so already have the equipment on hand, just though it would be more fun to serve to friends out of barrel, also saving on having to do careful bottle pours and washing up.

I'll probably just use the barrel this time round for the experience and then put it aside for ale/bitter.

Is it fine to just use the pressure barrel as a fermentation vessel so it doesn't sit around doing nothing for too long?

Max

Thanks Binkei,

Seems most people prefer the cornelious kegs. I will move over when I can afford buying all the bits.

I've been using bottles up until now so already have the equipment on hand, just though it would be more fun to serve to friends out of barrel, also saving on having to do careful bottle pours and washing up.

I'll probably just use the barrel this time round for the experience and then put it aside for ale/bitter.

Is it fine to just use the pressure barrel as a fermentation vessel so it doesn't sit around doing nothing for too long?

Max
Now there's an idea - could you use the barrel as a pressure fermenter - with the cap that you have.......

View attachment 52345

Hi, I could do with some help using my new pressure barrel.

My understanding was 'transfer beer from fermentation bucket into the barrel and stick a CO2 capsule in the top of the barrel to provide pressure and carbonation'.

Not quite sure what I have bought (?) but doesn't seem to accept any CO2 capsule.

I don't want to get it wrong again and waste more money so info on what I have bought and what I need to buy would be very helpful.

(FYI I'm brewing a pilsner)

Many thanks,

Max

I wrote quite a bit on the subject in the thread below. A pressure barrel is great for bitters, pale ales, milds, stouts, brown ales, etc. that should be more softly carbonated. Not so good for lagers, saisons, wheatbeers, etc. that need to be more effervescent. For the more effervescent beers use cornelius kegs or bottles. Bottles are also easier to put in the fridge unless you have a big space in the fridge available for your pressure barrel.

Typical max pressure for a pressure barrel is 10psi where lagers etc. need more like 20psi.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/

As long as there's a pressure relief valve (from memory it's a post with a rubber band) on it, you can use to ferment I should imagine. Though I'd stand the barrel in something in case the seam springs a leak.

But aware that your beer will sit on the trub for lor longer than it should, which could affect the taste. That's why I don't think you'll find any bottle conditioned pilseners. Though I suspect you l've made a 'pseudo' lager kit, which means the yeast isn't a true lager yeast and you may get away with it.

I'd definitely recommend reading Hazelwood's guide though.

Thanks all I'll definitely give the guide a read and inevitably go back to it once something goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back