Priming question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

On Friday i am going to bottle my coopers lager and have bought a bottling buddy to help me out, when i transfer my lager from FV to barrel (with bottling buddy attached) when is the best time to add my priming sugar? I was going to add it when my barrel is half way full from my FV and just stir the sugar in, then put the rest of the lager from FV in..will this be ok??

Chris

If you are adding dry sugar as primings, I would add it right at the start as the action of transferring from one vessel to another, no matter how gently, will mix the sugar in :thumb:
If you are dissolving the priming sugar prior to adding them to the bulk of the beer it doesn't really matter when you add them ;)

I normally make a syrup in a pan on the hob, get it boiling then chill it down to 'pitching temp' in an iced water bath in the sink then just dump it in the bottling bucket. Always good to have things sterile :)

What weight of sugar would you use to make a priming solution for 23 litres that is going into bottles or do you count out 40 X half a teaspoon or whatever you use per bottle and make the priming solution from that?!

If your bottling lager i'd go for 1tsp of sugar to give the extra bit of carbonation. But weigh out the 40 tsp's to give you a ball park weight of sugar take a note so you can adjust next time you bottle if needs be :thumb:

At the risk of sounding stupid here, why are you using a bottling buddy if its going in a keg? I thought they were for bottles? Im just about to do the same with my coopers (20 litres into a keg) I will be using a syphoning tube, is there any benefit using a buddy just curious thats all . Edited just reread and I take it its going in a barrell to transfer into bottles my mistake
I,ll just sit over here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :wha:

Latest posts

Back