Pubs in Kendal serving food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want to avoid dogs trying to lick me or sniff my nadgers when I want a quiet pint without being fussed then spoons IS the local to go to. The pilot and especially beerriff my other locals can have as many dogs as customers sometimes. Thus I try to visit during quieter times. The sign outside beerriff says dogs must be on leads at all times but half the owners think it doesn't apply to them. It's animal discrimination. I've not yet seen any cat friendly pubs in my area.

Try The Factory Tap or the Barrel House at Castle Mills - across the river from the town centre.
Or the Handsome bar on Kent Street. Their brewery is a couple of miles upstream - one of several in the area.
(Hawkshead Brewery in Staveley; Watermill Inn at Ings; Coniston Brewing Co; Lakes, Bowness Bay and Gan Yam breweries in Kendal, etc).
Personal favourites, this week, are Loweswater Gold (brewed near Esthwaite Water) and Collie Wobbles from the Watermill.

Try The Factory Tap or the Barrel House at Castle Mills - across the river from the town centre.
Or the Handsome bar on Kent Street. Their brewery is a couple of miles upstream - one of several in the area.
(Hawkshead Brewery in Staveley; Watermill Inn at Ings; Coniston Brewing Co; Lakes, Bowness Bay and Gan Yam breweries in Kendal, etc).
Personal favourites, this week, are Loweswater Gold (brewed near Esthwaite Water) and Collie Wobbles from the Watermill.

We've stayed at the Eagle and Child in Staveley and paid a visit to the brewery. Pleasant day was had. Also took a wander to Ings and recovered in the Watermill for a good few hours, the walk back was a struggle with a full belly though 😁
Will make an effort to check out the breweries in Kendal and sample some of their wares, hopefully some will serve food too. Will do some reading 👍

Cheers Tom

Still here but just a quick update.

First night (yesterday) was the almost obligatory spoons tea. Food is irrelevant but I had a few pints of Bowman's (Southampton brewery) Wallops Wood, a decent standard bitter. Not in bad condition, no major complaints. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at Ye Olde Fleece Inn and had a superb pint of Black Sheep. It was the nicest pint I've had in a long while.
Tonight tea was consumed at the Shakespeare Inn. Again, the food is secondary. First pint was Theakstons Shakesbeer. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else, tasted like their standard bitter. Was ok. Then had a pint of Timmy Taylor's Landlord, now that was much nicer, almost on par with the Black Sheep from last night. On the way back we stopped at the White Hart and I had a pint of Robinson's Wizard. The pint was ok, nothing to write home about but was better than the Theakstons I'd previously had.
Tomorrow night should (if all goes to plan) take us to the Ring o Bells. Supposed to be the only pub in the UK to be on consecrated ground. Allegedly haunted too. There should be 6 hand pulls plumbed in so as there's no planned stop off on our way back to the hotel I should get through a few of them.
Will report back tomorrow with further info.

P.S. That pint of Black Sheep really was nice 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

Still here but just a quick update.

First night (yesterday) was the almost obligatory spoons tea. Food is irrelevant but I had a few pints of Bowman's (Southampton brewery) Wallops Wood, a decent standard bitter. Not in bad condition, no major complaints. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at Ye Olde Fleece Inn and had a superb pint of Black Sheep. It was the nicest pint I've had in a long while.
Tonight tea was consumed at the Shakespeare Inn. Again, the food is secondary. First pint was Theakstons Shakesbeer. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else, tasted like their standard bitter. Was ok. Then had a pint of Timmy Taylor's Landlord, now that was much nicer, almost on par with the Black Sheep from last night. On the way back we stopped at the White Hart and I had a pint of Robinson's Wizard. The pint was ok, nothing to write home about but was better than the Theakstons I'd previously had.
Tomorrow night should (if all goes to plan) take us to the Ring o Bells. Supposed to be the only pub in the UK to be on consecrated ground. Allegedly haunted too. There should be 6 hand pulls plumbed in so as there's no planned stop off on our way back to the hotel I should get through a few of them.
Will report back tomorrow with further info.

P.S. That pint of Black Sheep really was nice 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom
Your making me thirsty! Last time I was there I rode in from Hawes and was knackered. I had a couple of pints at Olde Fleece, probably Black sheep but it's been so long I can't remember anything but enjoying those pints.

The Black Sheep really REALLY was a lovely pint. Smooth, slightly sweet almost like honey and a mellow bitterness that contrasted the sweetness perfectly. Mmmm, I know I said we don't plan a stop off on the way back to the hotel but 🤔😁

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

Slight change of plan. The Ring o Bells doesn't serve food on a Monday, so after much thought and discussion a decision has been made.
Tonight, Ye olde Fleece Inn shall be the lucky recipient of our hard earned and I shall gratefully receive some most excellent Black Sheep 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

I have been past it many times but have never bee in.

How it used to look when i were a lad :D

1679928841940.png
aaaature.JPG

Not much has changed by the look of it. Apart from the prices 😱 got to support the traditional old pubs though. Generally speaking, they keep a better pint than the big chains (coughing while saying spoons).
It's a pity that so many of the pubs in town don't serve food. Kendal is a very popular tourist town, I'm sure they're missing out on a good slice of income. Having said that, I would imagine that food brings extra regulations and the like. Plus the higher chance of wastage and more importantly, the landlord (or lady) might not feel the need to bring additional tourists in and risk spoiling the atmosphere for the regulars who use the pub.

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

Not much has changed by the look of it. Apart from the prices 😱 got to support the traditional old pubs though. Generally speaking, they keep a better pint than the big chains (coughing while saying spoons).
It's a pity that so many of the pubs in town don't serve food. Kendal is a very popular tourist town, I'm sure they're missing out on a good slice of income. Having said that, I would imagine that food brings extra regulations and the like. Plus the higher chance of wastage and more importantly, the landlord (or lady) might not feel the need to bring additional tourists in and risk spoiling the atmosphere for the regulars who use the pub.

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

To be fair the Spoons real ale depends on the person running the cellar. I was a (short-lived) manager in a spoons and I ran the cask ales.
Was always up to scratch. Would never eat in one (aside from the steaks) having worked there though! But they do serve a purpose.
I miss Black Sheep was always on tap when I worked as a chef on the Yorkshire/Cumbria border (points for naming that rather well know pub). A lovely post-shift pint or three.

I know spoons do have a mixed reputation but I have always applauded them in their support for cask ales. Generally I find their cask beer to be acceptable but the standard has dropped markedly in the last few years. Staff turnover, commitment of whoever is in charge of the cellar are just a couple of reasons but with the occasional exception, I always find the small local pubs with a committed person running the cellar always has a better kept pint.

Anyway

Tonight, as previously advertised, we returned to Ye Olde Fleece Inn. I don't normally enthuse over pub food but........
I had what was listed as Confit Chicken. I thought, here we go, chicken nugget on a bed of twigs or something equally as ridiculous but credit where credit is due, it was a sizable portion and was really tasty. So much so that I commented to Mrs Tom that if we had dined here on our first night instead of the spoons then I would have happily gone back for a second visit. Not cheap mind but it really was worth the money (I very rarely say that as I'm tight), add in the fact that the Black Sheep was still on form and it's no contest.

Back in our room now and it's almost time for a nice cup of Yorkshire

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

I know spoons do have a mixed reputation but I have always applauded them in their support for cask ales. Generally I find their cask beer to be acceptable but the standard has dropped markedly in the last few years. Staff turnover, commitment of whoever is in charge of the cellar are just a couple of reasons but with the occasional exception, I always find the small local pubs with a committed person running the cellar always has a better kept pint.

I applaud them for being the only ones to serve beginning at 9am. A pint and breakfast is a dream. Especially after a long run or ride.

Back in boring old Wallasey now. Was a most pleasant few nights away. We'll definitely be returning sometime but there are so many other cracking places to visit in Cumbria. Marvelous part of the world 😃😃😃

Cheers Tom and Mrs Tom

Latest posts

Back