Pubs in Kendal serving food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Myself and Mrs Soupdragon have booked a few nights stay in Kendal for the end of March.
Any recommendations for good pubs serving food? Not interested in posh wine bars or pubs that serve an inch square piece of meat surrounded by blobs of jus (what is that stuff anyway?) with a couple of leaves on the side arranged in shape of the Blackpool tower, call it some fancy name and charge £35 for it. We're just looking for a few decent pubs serving good cask beer and good old comfort food.

Ta in advance 👍

Cheers Tom

Spoons do have their place in the world but when we have our weekends away we like to support the smaller, possibly independent pubs. It doesn't always work out that way though. I'm sure we'll pop into the spoons in town (have had the order and pay app for years) but our preferred evening choice would be elsewhere.

Cheers Tom

Perhaps untappd would help with the pub part if you don't know the area. It will show you which pubs are verified (yellow) if you get a map of the local area on. The verified ones have a tap list as well so you can see if you like the choice of beer before you go. 😄

Not sure if you're a user. Well worth a look though.

Last edited:
No spoons in Kendal and I would be fairly sure only a very small % of places would sell the food you said you are not interested in, it's been many years sinse I visited the pubs in Kendal so couldn't recommend one there are a lot so you should be fine.

No spoons in Kendal and I would be fairly sure only a very small % of places would sell the food you said you are not interested in, it's been many years sinse I visited the pubs in Kendal so couldn't recommend one there are a lot so you should be fine.

The Miles Thompson

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/cumbria/the-miles-thompson-kendal
I've started a bit of research.

Ye olde fleece inn (just having ye olde in the name puts the prices up 🤣) looks ok.

Tha Shakespeare also seems a possible add to the list.

The white hart also looks promising. Curry of the day for £6.95 😱 At that price it might be top of the list

Cheers Tom

Perhaps untappd would help with the pub part if you don't know the area. It will show you which pubs are verified (yellow) if you get a map of the local area on. The verified ones have a tap list as well so you can see if you like the choice of beer before you go. 😄

Not sure if you're a user. Well worth a look though.

Will check it out, thanks 👍

Cheers Tom

Doesn't look like there's any verified pubs which is sad, but there's plenty of normal ones to choose from anyhow. 😬

Screenshot_20230228_172112_Untappd.jpg

Doesn't look like there's any verified pubs which is sad, but there's plenty of normal ones to choose from anyhow. 😬

View attachment 82527

Are the verified ones marked with a yellow blobs rather than the red ones?
Can't find any reference to food on the app. Mind you it's for beer reviews isn't it? So not surprised there.

Cheers Tom

I stand corrected @Tess Tickle's Brewery

I have driven down that street a few times and have never noticed it, the clock tower is next door and there always seems to be people in there whatever time you go past, its right in the centre of the main part of town which probably explains it.

1677605046313.png
222222.JPG

I stand corrected @Tess Tickle's Brewery

I have driven down that street a few times and have never noticed it, the clock tower is next door and there always seems to be people in there whatever time you go past, its right in the centre of the main part of town which probably explains it.

View attachment 82528View attachment 82531

It looks pretty nice from the outside to be fair, if I'm ever there i'll pop in. The son goes to Kendal Calling every year but I've no idea if it's near here. Probably not with it being in a field 😂

Latest posts

Back