PUNK IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dub

Reaction score
Howdy

Had a bottle of brewdog punk ipa other day and it is awesome :drink:

How can i acheive that level of sharpness and the powerfull grapefruit whack of flavour in my own brews?

What hops would be used to give the grapefruit taste?

Is this level of beer beyond an amateur homebrewer :hmm:

Cheers

Theres a thread where mysterio posts some info:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6592&hilit=+punk+ipa

hope it helps, I had one of theirs that was so OTT hoppy it was all I could taste all night, not impressed. I think they may be a bit silly. But I'd rather they were there doing that than not. Takes all sorts I suppose!

I think the hop bill is going to be massive!
Oh and I seem to remember somewhere they use Belgian yeast for the punk, that'll be as...if not more...important as the crazy hops.

Brewdog are amazing, my favourite beer.

Punk IPA is great, but my favourite is 5 a.m. saint, have you tried that one? Delcious :drink:

their hops in punk change with what ever they can get their hands on but mainly they like to use a shed load of nelson. I wouldnt use any bittering but loads late and dry hop with about 100g in 5 gallons too.

Punk IPa is quite bitter isn't it?

I'm know nothing about AG, but I assumed some bittering hops would be needed. it's 6%, so must use a lot of grain as well as a lot of hops. (i guess)

There is a lot of sugar in the recipe (I had this confirmed by a brewer). The bottles used to state the OG of 1052 and you don't get a 6% beer from that gravity unless you add a load of 100% fermentables (or use a strange yeast).

I made a decent effort. It had more body and the hops weren't quite as aggressive but it was fairly popular. If you are interesting then the recipe is below.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6948&p=73425&hilit=King+Robert#p73425

shearclass said:

I'm know nothing about AG, but I assumed some bittering hops would be needed. it's 6%, so must use a lot of grain as well as a lot of hops. (i guess)
You get most efficient bittering if you boil your hops for 90 minutes . . .however you still get some bittering even with a short 15 minute boil . . .unfortunately to get the same amount of bittering (IBU's) you must use more hops for the shorter boil.

As an example if I was to bitter 23L of a beer using Nelson Sauvin at 10.8% Alpha to hit a target bitterness of 80IBU in a 90 minute boil I would use 63g of the hops. If I still boiled for 90 minutes but added the hops at 60 minutes I would need 67g of hops. Adding the hops at 30 minutes I'd use 87g, and if I added then at 15 minutes I would need a massive 136g!!

All the beers would have the same target bitterness but the hop presence would be markedly different. In order to be a bit less wasteful on hops in an insane hop beer I usually aim for 50% of the IBU's to come from the 90 Minute addition and 50% from the 15 minute addition. This can have some unexpected effects though. My German Pilsner turned out very much like Trashy Blonde . . .which was disappointing, as I didn't really want that. so I won't do it again

This was my hop schedule for a Punk inspired IPA that I brewed 2 weeks ago. I used an all malt bill for an abv of approx 5.5%.
As others have mentioned, there is quite a chinook hit in Punk....but I decided to go with amarillo for bittering.
There is more than 50% of the IBU comming from additions at 30 mins or less. I also was advised to use a good amount of steep hops to try and get a big nose on it.
There is always some debate on the hops used in Punk....it is quite an inconsistient beer and this must be down to availabilty of the 'exotic' hops.
I dropped the beer in to a secondary yesterday, the aroma is quite something. Very bitter at the moment though.....I could taste the Citra in my mouth all day :lol:

10.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (90 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
12.00 gm Citra [13.80 %] (30 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
15.00 gm Ahtanum [4.90 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
10.00 gm Citra [13.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
25.00 gm Ahtanum [4.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Citra [13.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Amarillo [9.40 %] (0 min)

Aleman said:
My German Pilsner turned out very much like Trashy Blonde . . .which was disappointing, as I didn't really want that. so I won't do it again

Send it to me Aleman, I love trashy blonde!

thanks for all the replies ,i fancy a go at this one ,got plenty of hops to go at.

Tried the 5am saint in the North Bar Leeds other night and that is like fruit juice :hmm: .It was not on hand pull ,out of the tap ,not unpleasant but not what i expected.

I dont seem to achieve that crispness with my beers that i want.

What can i do in the brewing process to achieve the crisp taste that pale ales have?(Barnsley Beer company's bobby dazzler is the kind of sharpness i am after or saltaire pale ale ,both pretty good on a hot day)

Cheers

My wife just rang me from Sainsburys, 'what beer shall I get?'
Well hooray for this:

Punk IPA
5 am Saint
Duval
Meantime Pils
Leffe
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Good ole wifey! Its brew day tomorrow too, I expect to change all my plans following tonights tastings, bet it'll be a hoppy bugger!

Oh and she's bringing whisky too, some sugar for wurzels and some food for us to eat if theres room left!

Aleman said:
shearclass said:

You get most efficient bittering if you boil your hops for 90 minutes . . .however you still get some bittering even with a short 15 minute boil . . .unfortunately to get the same amount of bittering (IBU's) you must use more hops for the shorter boil.

As an example if I was to bitter 23L of a beer using Nelson Sauvin at 10.8% Alpha to hit a target bitterness of 80IBU in a 90 minute boil I would use 63g of the hops. If I still boiled for 90 minutes but added the hops at 60 minutes I would need 67g of hops. Adding the hops at 30 minutes I'd use 87g, and if I added then at 15 minutes I would need a massive 136g!!

All the beers would have the same target bitterness but the hop presence would be markedly different. In order to be a bit less wasteful on hops in an insane hop beer I usually aim for 50% of the IBU's to come from the 90 Minute addition and 50% from the 15 minute addition. This can have some unexpected effects though. My German Pilsner turned out very much like Trashy Blonde . . .which was disappointing, as I didn't really want that. so I won't do it again

Fascinating... first, what is 'Trashy Blonde' - it sounds like something that I might really like, or be completely repulsed by :D

Second: the issue of aroma really interests me. I have recently brewed a Brains SA clone because I had some not long ago and the fruity nose and finish, together with a beautifully rounded bitterness, was simply nectar to me.

Mine isn't as sharp, as mentioned. I know a lot of this will be down to honing technique as I am still very new to this (the Brains is only my 3rd AG) but I still want to know: how much effect do you actually get from steeping hops?

I understand that we boil hops to break down their resinous properties to obtain bitterness. But without boiling, by simply putting them into hot wort I can't really understand why anything will be imparted - be it aroma or bitterness. Some explanations please? (Irrespective of what anyone says my next brew is an SNPA with stacks of Cascade and Magnum :D )

Back