Question on bottling wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druss

Mead Magician
Reaction score
I was bottling my latest batch last night (mango WOW) and was wondering if there is an easier way than syphoning from the demijohn and trying to avoid picking up what sediment is left in there. Would there be any draw back to syphoning direct to another dj to ensure no sediment is present, then simply pouring this into bottles?

I apologise if this is a silly question but I haven't been brewing long and I'm still learning :)

If the wine's properly finished, all the crud should be pretty firm on the bottom so you shouldn't get anything through the siphon - helps if you have one with an anti-crud-pickup cup on the end, of course.
But siphoning to another vessel is a good way to get your stabilising compounds mixed in, if you haven't already stabilised. I'd then siphon again rather than pouring, to minimise oxidation risk. Or if the vessel you siphoned into has a tap...

I have one of the cup attachment things but every once in a while I'm getting a very small amount of fine sediment into the last bottle. I suppose racking then bottling could be an option but every time I do that I lose more and more wine to the sediment.

Latest posts

Back