Questions over Britain’s 70% boost in aid to India just days after its rocket launch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
India has spent £58 million sending a rocket to the moon and we have announced we are to increase aid by 70% surely this extra money would be better spent here, i am not saying we should stop foreign aid but if they have the money to fund space exploration they dont need aid they need to get their priorities in order they certainly dont need a 70% increase, that money could be spent here helping the NHS etc.

Critics say it is wrong to increase funding to the Asian country when it is wealthy enough to afford its own space programme

Britain is set to boost aid to India by 70 per cent, it has emerged, just days after the country launched a rocket into space.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), which distributes aid, sent India £33.4 million in aid cash in 2022/23.

But the FCDO’s annual report, published this week, reveals that the total is set to rise to £57 million in 2024/25.

This will be topped up by an as-yet-unknown amount from the business department, which usually gives more than £10 million.

The report also reveals that the department is funding the controversial Great Britain China Centre to the tune of £340,000 a year.

Funding for the centre, which is accused of having close links to the Chinese Communist Party, is set to rise to £350,000 next year.

Details of the huge amount spent on Indian aid come just days after the country launched a spacecraft to the far side of the moon.

Chandrayaan-3 will make India only the fourth country in the world to land an object on the lunar surface.

Critics say it is wrong that Britain is increasing its aid budget to the country when it is wealthy enough to afford its own space programme.

‘Foreign aid debacle’​

John O’Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “The foreign aid debacle has been allowed to carry on for far too long.

“Arbitrary spending targets have seen untold millions sent abroad to fund spurious projects in countries with larger economies than our own.

“To create a fairer deal for taxpayers, ministers should scrap the target and make aid available when truly needed.”

The huge increase comes as the UK and India try to reach a trade agreement. Kemi Badenoch, the Business Secretary, has been warned not to give too much away to the country in her eagerness to strike a deal.

In 2012, Pranab Mukherjee, the then finance minister of India, sparked anger when he described British aid money as “peanuts”.

In the same year, the British government pledged to end bilateral aid to India by 2016 as part of a move away from funding middle-income countries.

But despite ministers giving the impression that the country would receive no more money, millions have continued to flow into the country in the form of technical assistance, research grants and investments through the Government body British International Investment (BII).

‘Aid impact score the second-worst available’​

Last year the Independent Commission on Aid Impact gave the UK’s India aid programme a score of amber red - the second-worst available.

The £2.3 billion of aid spending between 2016 and 2021 is made up of £441 million in bilateral aid, £1 billion of investments through BII, £129 million in FCDO investments, and £749 million through multilateral channels such as the World Bank.

The report highlighted one of BII’s investments in a midsize Indian bank, which it cannot name.

The investment body gave the bank £160 million between 2014 and 2020 to support microfinance lending - that is, lending to poor customers.

However, BII’s investments were not ring-fenced for microfinance and were instead used to fund the expansion of the bank’s entire business.

By March 2022, microfinance accounted for just 9.8 per cent of loans, and credit cards accounted for 36 per cent of loans.

“This is an example of an investment without a convincing link to poverty reduction,” the report said.

The Foreign Office was approached for comment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...wealth and Development,57 million in 2024/25.

Last edited:
Does any country that can fund a space programme, massive military and a F1 team need this?

Exactly Clint, i would like to know who decided they needed a 70% increase when our country is in **** street.

It's called politics, India is an emerging nation with a massive economy, there is a lot of business to be had, and don't forget all the Sheiks did for our old and infirm people during covid lockdown, compared to the money we have given to France for no return it is money well spent

It's called politics, India is an emerging nation with a massive economy, there is a lot of business to be had, and don't forget all the Sheiks did for our old and infirm people during covid lockdown, compared to the money we have given to France for no return it is money well spent
Can you try re-writing that with punctuation and expand on your point "don't forget all the Sheiks did for our old and infirm people during covid lockdown"?
I don't have a clue what you are on about after your second comma.

What money did the UK give to France?

I don't have a clue what you are on about after your second comma.
1, i had a secondary school education in the 60s and don't do puntuation even spelling but i did ok in life and made a lot money. so although you think my lack of education is something to ridicule fine and i have no problem with that.
I will talk no more on this subject acheers. i have been cancelled

We're currently in the process of signing a worthless post-Brexit trade deal with India, although probably not worthless to Sunak's in-law's. Most foreign aid to countries who don't appear to need it can be classed as " soft power ", in one form or another. Odd that people always get riled-up about any form of foreign aid, but are fine with overlooking the 100's of billion's our government have gifted to chums and donors, for very little in return.

1, i had a secondary school education in the 60s and don't do puntuation even spelling but i did ok in life and made a lot money. so although you think my lack of education is something to ridicule fine and i have no problem with that.
I will talk no more on this subject acheers. i have been cancelled
You make a lot of assumptions. I made no comment or assertion about your education and do not care about it, or how much money you have.
I just wanted to understand your post.

Latest posts

Back