quick airlock question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastie

Regular.
Reaction score
just put my second brew on and using an airlock for the first time .

how long would you expect before it started bubbling ?

cheers d

Made a brew on Friday. Started bubbling (noticeably) on Sunday morning... It's now going like the clappers :lol:

Dunno if that's "normal" but there you have it!

cool cheers . just checking if it should of started strait away :) il give it a couple of days before worrying :)

The time between pitching the yeast and the start of fermentation is called the lag time; you want this to be as short as possible, ideally less than 24hours. Also depending how good your lid seals your FV you may not even see any action with your airlock, but even so you would see signs of fermentation in your FV, just try not to keep peeking though.

cheers , i think the seal is ok but its hard to say , im not going to peak this time unless there's no bubbles at all i will be leaving it alown for at least a week :)

Air lock activity is not really a good indication of fermentation. you will usually see bubbles for a day or two or little bubbles at all. It really depends on your fermenter and how much head space you have between the krausin and the lid of the fermenter. Carboys have a small neck where all the C02 is forced into the air lock often times resulting in a blow off tube being needed. If you are using a bucket or conical fermenter with a lot of head space C02 escapes slowly so it seems that you don't get much air lock activity.

thanks , i have loads of action , started about 3 hours later :)

its good to see it doing something as will the lose lid way it was hard to know anything was going on . this kit all seem to be going well , my new set up seems to be doing the bizz :)

Latest posts

Back