R.I.S. S.O.S.!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonS

Reaction score
Having a nightmare!

AG No.3 was a slightly optimistic Barclay Perkins 1848 Imperial Brown Stout, way back in September.

All went OK, although efficiency wasn't great and I ended up with 18L at an OG of 1.093.
Fermentation want well, and it was legged into a corny in mid November.

I have periodically been having a taster (be rude not to) and was really pleased - it was all I had hoped it would be. It even compared with the Courage RIS that are on at Tesco's - chuffed!

Last week wondered if it might be a little 'bland', but put it down to the cold temps - certainly no off flavours.

Tried some again last night - really, mouth puckeringly, sour. Long horrible aftertaste. Thought I would have a taste at lunch today, when I hadn't had a few beers - same. Worse if anything.

Its obviously an infection. When I bought the corny (over t'interweb) it hadn't been cleaned by from the last brew, and smelt awful, so I gave it a thorough clean. However, if the infection had been in the corny to begin with logic suggests it would have presented earlier, not two months down the line. I presume it is infection I have introduced when popping the tap on to have a taste - I always thought that, as it is under positive pressure, cleanliness isn't such an issue, but I am clearly wrong, and now worrying about my other 'grand beer' ageing in another (new, shop bought chinese) corny.

I know what I have to do - bin the beer, cry a little bit, really clean the corny and change practice. Just so gutted at loosing a great beer.

Mainly I'm just having a moan, although all suggestions are appreciated.

I have a corny that keeps turning beer sour. Ive thought about selling it but that's not fair. I try it every now and then and is ok if the beer is drunk quickly but it keeps coming back. Lactobaccillus I believe. Really, really hard to get rid of.

Cheers Rob.

Interesting the infection only presents later. I don't have the time to empty it and give it a thorough clean for a few weeks, so I will see if it develops the same smell as the corny had when it first arrived.

In any case, a bloody good clean with sterilising agent and hot water, boil all the posts, replace all the o-rings and lid (which is plastic) and I will try with a kit beer and see how I get along.

Latest posts

Back