Razorback ip

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

Reaction score
Hi just a quick question really. I have brewed this razorback ipa for the 3rd time the 1st 2 have been amazing. But this ones I have done now I’m a bit concerned. I bottled it about 12 days ago and it’s still cloudy well I say cloudy the top of the bottles are getting clearer but there is some residue on some of the sides of bottles inside which I have never seen before. I opened one of the bottles a week ago and it tasted and smelt fine. So what I’m saying is it infected. Thanks Leigh

Have a razorback kit but was wondering if it’s too warm to put on right now with the warm weather? Coolest room in my house is 20 degrees and might get warmer in the next few days, should I hold off or will it it be ok?

I’ve no fermentation chamber or fridge to put it in so just relying on the weather

I think 20 is fine for this kit. I've bottled one a few days ago where I don't think I saw the heat pad switch on & noted temperatures were all in the 20 - 24 range. Finished fermenting a bit quicker too (had a stable FG after 10 days). Tasted fine (for bottling time) to me. Apparently, it's the first few days that really matter (though I've no experience to back that idea up). Maybe somebody with more experience might be able to comment.

Have a razorback kit but was wondering if it’s too warm to put on right now with the warm weather? Coolest room in my house is 20 degrees and might get warmer in the next few days, should I hold off or will it it be ok?

I’ve no fermentation chamber or fridge to put it in so just relying on the weather

I think you're probably fine to brew it, the problem will be cold conditioning. If you don't have a dedicated fridge, the only real option is to put the beer outside in a garage or shed but the daytime temperatures are too high at the moment. If you have a large container, you could stand them in cold water and put fresh ice in every day but it's a bit of a faff.

Personally, I won't brew now until September/October when the cooler nights (and days) are more favourable.

Thanks I’ve a shed and it generally is a bit cooler than inside so after two three weeks I’m hoping temperature drops a bit might leave till end of the week and then go ahead with it

I'm in the same boat with equipment but I've found a water bath using a tub I bought from a bargain store immensely helpful at keeping the temp down
Keep a few 250ml bottles in the freezer and add two each morning and evening on warm days
This should keep it at a stable 18-19 c each day
Just make sure the fv is at least 2 thirds covered and a temp strip is stuck on horizontally above the level of water (around the 20 litre mark) this way it won't be wrecked from being submerged
You may have to buy another strip but they're only 99p on eBay

I rather like 'free fermenting' and just using a yeast thats appropriate/that can tolerate the temps of your brewing area. As I think it's more 'natural' (this is ridiculous of course but I like the idea, probably because I'm such a luddite).
The temp inside your FV is about normally about 2C-3C higher than the ambient temp, although it can be higher depending on how vigorous your fermentation is. So if you use US-05 yeast, which can got up to 25C (and I've even read 28C) or Nottingham/Wilko Ale/Gervin which I had up to 27C last summer, you should be ok

I'm in the same boat with equipment but I've found a water bath using a tub I bought from a bargain store immensely helpful at keeping the temp down
Keep a few 250ml bottles in the freezer and add two each morning and evening on warm days
This should keep it at a stable 18-19 c each day
Just make sure the fv is at least 2 thirds covered and a temp strip is stuck on horizontally above the level of water (around the 20 litre mark) this way it won't be wrecked from being submerged
You may have to buy another strip but they're only 99p on eBay
That's a great idea and a cheaper solution than putting together a fermentation chamber might give that a try at least to get me over the first 3-4 days of fermentation

Ritchie's actually recommend 20-25C for this kit yeast (I'm brewing one at the moment) so you're probably ok depending on how warm your house is.
I'm using an aquarium chiller to keep temps a few degrees below ambient but that's because my brew cupboard tends to sit around 26-27c at the moment.

That's a great idea and a cheaper solution than putting together a fermentation chamber might give that a try at least to get me over the first 3-4 days of fermentation
Yes and that's key
I'm not too fussed now as my beers been a week and incredibly only went to 21c over the weekend without adding the ice!
Try and make sure its in a shaded area and'this will definitely help keep the water cooler

I rather like 'free fermenting' and just using a yeast thats appropriate/that can tolerate the temps of your brewing area. As I think it's more 'natural' (this is ridiculous of course but I like the idea, probably because I'm such a luddite).
The temp inside your FV is about normally about 2C-3C higher than the ambient temp, although it can be higher depending on how vigorous your fermentation is. So if you use US-05 yeast, which can got up to 25C (and I've even read 28C) or Nottingham/Wilko Ale/Gervin which I had up to 27C last summer, you should be ok
Was going to say the kit yeast should cover it, but @Llamaman got there first! Room where I normally ferment is gone up to about 24 degrees today so might be pushing it a bit, and wouldn't mind erring on the safe side. I did a young's kit last time and think I had the temp too high for the first few days ( had it beside a radiator) as it has some off taste to it so wouldn't mind trying keeping the temp a bit lower this time

Just to get back putting the FV in a tub of water with frozen bottles is working very well even with the hot weather we're having

Finally got around to drinking this not as hoppy as I expected, (I waited till fermentation had stopped and then added the hops). But still pretty good and strong too!

Finally got around to drinking this not as hoppy as I expected, (I waited till fermentation had stopped and then added the hops). But still pretty good and strong too!
I'm doing a Grapefruit IPA ATM ( Elvis juice clone from Mangrove Jack ) think it will have to be something special to beat Razorback.. time will tell.

I'm doing a Grapefruit IPA ATM ( Elvis juice clone from Mangrove Jack ) think it will have to be something special to beat Razorback.. time will tell.
Just got the second Mangrove jacks grapefruit ipa on the go. Left the first a month in the barell It’s a very good beer. Tried 3 mangrove jacks kits all 5 star. I have 2 small all grain kits on the go to compare.

Just got the second Mangrove jacks grapefruit ipa on the go. Left the first a month in the barell It’s a very good beer. Tried 3 mangrove jacks kits all 5 star. I have 2 small all grain kits on the go to compare.
Did it take a while to ferment out? Think mines finished but it's really cloudy and don't want loads of sediment in the bottles

Latest posts

Back