Re-using wine bottles for home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry gents, had to stick my oar in on this one.......

Although corks CAN be placed in screwtop wine bottles it is not advisable, (exspecially if using a hand corker!!) as the bottles are thinner round the neck and are not designed to have weight down on the head (the process of corking)

I know a lot of people do it, which is fine for them. I just thought I would put this out there so you can make your own decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry gents, had to stick my oar in on this one.......

Although corks CAN be placed in screwtop wine bottles it is not advisable, (exspecially if using a hand corker!!) as the bottles are thinner round the neck and are not designed to have weight down on the head (the process of corking) Google it.

I know a lot of people do it, which is fine for them. I just thought I would put this out there so you can make your own decisions.

Has anyone actually been having the issue of cracking bottle necks when using corks in screwtops??

I have seen alot of posters advising against it but none have said they have had it happen or seen it... and others say they have been doing it for years without issues (like the above poster)

`They' also say you can't use supermarket beer bottles for bottling homebrew because the glass is too thin but I use them all the time, you just have to be a bit more careful with the capper.

Back