Ready to go!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntComo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've recently bought a house in Italy after leaving the UK a few years back and we have a lot more space than I ever managed to get living in the city :) So naturally my lifelong curiosity about home brewing is about to be explored. Moreover 'artisanal beer' as it's called locally is only popular with a certain demographic and very expensive. It's very much a wine culture here, so finding good craft lager is tough outside of the big out-of-town supermarkets and way to expensive in the bars - double the price of a glass of wine or local lager :s .

I put together a nice order which should arrive this week - the Northern Brewer Deluxe kit with an extra big mouth bubbler so I can have a couple of batches on the go. Thanks to the advice I read here I also picked up a copper wort chiller (our freezers busted and tiny so ice isn't really feasible anyway) some extra sanitiser, a couple of spare airlocks, a 5 gallon steel kettle and 1000 caps.

I have a great outdoor space that's covered where I'm hoping to eventually do the brewing but my first batches will be on the gas cooker in the kitchen (the recipe included is for a 2.5 gallon boil so we should be good).

The part I'm most looking forward to is using the cellar spaces in the house. They're super mild in the summer here and from my measurements over the past week they remain at a consistently fresh 20 degrees. I've just had them racked out with aluminium shelving for storage but I think this might become a great place for fermentation. If it proves too hot due to the extra degrees added during the process we have another space that averages around 17 degrees that should do the trick.

Our first winter's coming up so if the temperature drops a few degrees I might even be able to do some lager in the winter (we're at 750m on the edge of the alps so the temperature should be nice and cool).

Anyway I'm really looking forward to everything arriving and I'm sure I'll be around with some questions after my first brew.

Sounds brilliant. Saveur Bière deliver to Italy. Have a look at their website and thehomebrewcompany.ie is good to explore for when things go nasty with trade deals on Hallowe'en night.
Welcome to Valhalla. Wish I had a cellar!
Got a wife but, wouldn't sell 'er for anything!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've recently bought a house in Italy after leaving the UK a few years back and we have a lot more space than I ever managed to get living in the city :) So naturally my lifelong curiosity about home brewing is about to be explored. Moreover 'artisanal beer' as it's called locally is only popular with a certain demographic and very expensive. It's very much a wine culture here, so finding good craft lager is tough outside of the big out-of-town supermarkets and way to expensive in the bars - double the price of a glass of wine or local lager :s .

I put together a nice order which should arrive this week - the Northern Brewer Deluxe kit with an extra big mouth bubbler so I can have a couple of batches on the go. Thanks to the advice I read here I also picked up a copper wort chiller (our freezers busted and tiny so ice isn't really feasible anyway) some extra sanitiser, a couple of spare airlocks, a 5 gallon steel kettle and 1000 caps.

I have a great outdoor space that's covered where I'm hoping to eventually do the brewing but my first batches will be on the gas cooker in the kitchen (the recipe included is for a 2.5 gallon boil so we should be good).

The part I'm most looking forward to is using the cellar spaces in the house. They're super mild in the summer here and from my measurements over the past week they remain at a consistently fresh 20 degrees. I've just had them racked out with aluminium shelving for storage but I think this might become a great place for fermentation. If it proves too hot due to the extra degrees added during the process we have another space that averages around 17 degrees that should do the trick.

Our first winter's coming up so if the temperature drops a few degrees I might even be able to do some lager in the winter (we're at 750m on the edge of the alps so the temperature should be nice and cool).

Anyway I'm really looking forward to everything arriving and I'm sure I'll be around with some questions after my first brew.

Welcome, a cellar at a constant 20C - many forumites would kill for that :laugh8:

Sounds brilliant. Saveur Bière deliver to Italy. Have a look at their website and thehomebrewcompany.ie is good to explore for when things go nasty with trade deals on Hallowe'en night.
Welcome to Valhalla. Wish I had a cellar!
Got a wife but, wouldn't sell 'er for anything!

That's exactly where I found everything! It was tough to get it all in one place. Super helpful staff as well. They even checked through my order and alerted me to a couple of things I'd accidentally doubled up on.

I guess you are in Lake Como from your name? Do you like German beer? I would simply 'nip' across Switzerland and over the German border to this place. Fill your cellar up with beer and keep the bottles and crates for your brews. The bottle deposits are already in the price and the crates are an extra 3euro or so.

https://www.rewe.de/marktseite/lindau-bodensee/562089/rewe-city-zeppelinstrasse-6/

https://shop.rewe.de/productList?search=20x0,5l

There's a road trip :) We still haven't made the trip to Germany apart from a short stop on the way back to the UK a couple of years back but it's definitely on the list.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

EDIT - I realise I forgot to add something really important. The whole town still gets its water from a local fresh spring that is monitored by the local mineral water bottling facility nearby. We're going to use it for our first batch :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back