recipe for a thank you brew for the mrs...!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sometime

Reaction score
Hello all. Got all the equipment for my first ag brew (biab) and the Mrs been so nice about all the brew everywhere thought my first brew should be one for her(&me) .she not keen on bitter beers(can't do lager got no temperature control)so maybe wot pale malts&pilsner? Thinking about the hop additions Times ,she likes hoppy just not bitter was thinking of using Nottingham.....if I get it right it would be ace ..cheer everyone x

Is there a beer she likes? companes like the homebrew company and worcs hop shop sell ready to go all grain kits. not only will you get something she definitely likes, but it takes a lot of trouble out of your first brewday - it's all weighed out and ready to go, just gotta concentrate on your process!

If not, summer ale of sorts? Hops to 25 IBU with some aroma hops (ekg, cascade for example) and 50/50 pale and pilsner malt. ferment with any english ale yeast (nottingham is fine.)

or you could brew a steam beer; pale malt, northern brewer hops to 20 IBUs with a little for flavour, US-05 yeast can be used to good effect instead of lager yeast. it's a little mustier than lager, but you won't get people turning their noses up at it!

That's a cracking idea just making a brew for the missus, I think mine would appreciate something just made for her :party:

You could try her with a wheat beer, it's easy to make (or should I say difficult to mess up), no bitterness, plenty of flavour with the right yeast, looks like a lager, can be made to drink in under 3 weeks. Pale/Pilsner malt, Wheat malt, any hop (pref continental) hefe or weiss yeast, job done.

An ale can be made with low bitterness but its sometimes difficult to capture enough hop aroma, also hop aroma can give the perception of more bitterness. If going with an ale, something like a low bittered Summer Lightning SMASH might be good. Any single pale malt and any single hop, Notty yeast, job done.

I've only just started on beer, as until I found out about ClarityFerm breaking gluten up the missus wouldn't have been able to drink it anyway. So I've only just bottled my first - a kit mild. Her fave style is mild. You have to do something you know she'll like, so, what does she normally drink? Make that!

Great stuff cheers ,I like the idea of a smash for my first ag maybe pilsner (she likes larger) never new you could use just one malt ! :thumb: Play around with the hops .cheers

Try doing her a Makeson, most women quite like it as its not too bitter in taste.Its a sweet stout and if you include the maltodextrin and milk lactose she can kid herself its healthy and doing her good..... :D

Its a drink I'm also partial to and can down a pint of it at anytime of the day.

Theres a good recipe in the Clone Beers book by the Szamatulski duo... :thumb:

Hi missed your post stuworx soz,stopped at the malt miller on way back from Devon and got a 25kg bag of pilsner & 1kg agnus hops ( Rob is a really nice bloke interested in wot your doing and happy to help ) so all on for my first ag smash at the w/end .any tips on hop times and weighs keeping it light cheers

Mild / porter often goes well. You can quite well add fruit or honey in the case of porter but be careful as they ferment more than malt and can end up dry.

Latest posts

Back