Recommended commercial/shop-bought beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayHomebrew

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to the forum.

I've just bottled my first home brew. I have the Coopers brew kit with OS lager.

I havent tried a variety of different beers; the only beer I really drink is lager (Budwiser and Carling).

After looking at different threads I've discovered that homebrewing lager is quite difficult to do and is pretty pointless in terms of saving money since it's always on offer in the shops.

So my question is, what shop bought beers/ales do you guys suggest that I can try in order to gain a more varied palate?

I hope to try a range of different beers and see if there are any that I prefer over lager (which apparently is more than likely). If i do perfer one, then I will try and brew that sort of beer or perhaps find a clone that I could copy.

I suspect since I like lager I will probably perfer lighter styled ales. However, I'm more than happy to try some darker ones :)

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Most supermarkets do a great range of bottled beers nowadays so I would recommend taking a bit of time to select a few different styles and brewery offerings. The labels should tell you what style they are so pick a few different ones and give them a go.

As you mentioned Budweiser then see if you can find the Budweiser Budvar lagers, they do light and dark. These are from the Czech republic (not America) and have been in a long dispute over the use of the name.

happy shopping :D

Hey, cheers for the quick reply!

I will have a look into it and see if i can find them!

Do you reccomend any beers that you can buy from the shop?

People have recommended me Pilsner Urquell, Hoeggarden, Fidlers Elbow by Wychwood and Wells Bombadier Burning gold.

Most lager drinkers that cross the divide to ales get there via blonde ales, it seems. Something like Hobgoblin Gold would be a good example of a blonde with fruity American hops. For an English/European hop version, maybe try Jennings Cocker Hoop. I suggest these as they are both �£1.25 in Aldi! And both are good. There are loads of other blonde ales, they are really popular now.

I'll add them both to the list!

Ideally, what I want to do is get around 8-10 bottles of different commercial ales of different styles light and dark.

Then one night, try each one and see which best suits my taste and look at how they all compare.

Based off of that, I'll then try and brew something similar to what I like from those samples at home.

Even with the extra effort etc any lager you make will be better than Carling and Bud.

Plenty of good suggestions there. I use Lidl a lot as they stock a good base of ales and they have extra guest ales each week.

I've heard other people mention that too and i hope it's true! I'm very excited to see the difference!

I've noticed Lidl have a good variety on their shelves, are the any particular that you reccomend?

Asda are doing a cracking ale called Charles Wells DNA, £2.50 for 4 330ml cans. Bursting with new world hops. I'm a lager drinker also but I've gotten right into my IPA's. So much so that I only drink lager in the local pub now. But saying that, I'm just lagering a brew at the moment.

Awesome! Again, I'll add it to the list!!

In all honestly, I dont rwally know the difference between IPA, lager, ales, stouts, etc.

IPAs are all the rage too, very hoppy beers. Goose Island is easy to find and good.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the classic American Pale Ale.

Fullers London Pride is a classic English Bitter.

Guinness is the classic dry stout.

Fullers London Porter is the classic English porter.

I'll have a look into them also.

Just looking online at tesco now. They sell sets of 6x500ml bottes of ales or a mixed cases of different types of ales for £8.00.

Coopers actually make some commercially available beers. They do a Sparkling Ale (red bottle) which is one of my go to beers and they do a Pale Ale in a green bottle. Waitrose sell them. I think they have kits to match

For lighter beers, that might appeal to you as a lager drinker, I'd recommend;
Old Golden Hen, Williams' Caesar Augustus and Greene King East Coast IPA.
For a hit of American hops try Brewdog Punk IPA or Shipyard American IPA

Supermarkets are on the button right now as far as good beers are concerned. How about choosing by country? Belgian ales, German lager/wheat, American hop smackers, English proper strong ales etc etc

When I crossed teh void it was Hobgoblin the original ruby one, from then on I didn't look back I went down to Tesco and started picking up 3 or 4 for £5 (they usually have a deal on)

The Tesco's Revisionist beers are petty good, and they're usually on a deal. If you're a Lager drinker the Steam one would probably be a good shout, the Saison is fairly light too.

Latest posts

Back