Reconditioned keg scratches internally

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott 22

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have dissembled my new reconditioned-keg soaked for 18hrs in chemclean then started wiping down the inside where I have found lots of grey metal stains coming off on to a clean cloth, finally cleaned that all off and felt lots of scratches inside the keg, not smooth at all, but on closer in spection look clean, also quite a bit of rust was on the keg post thread itself which made it very difficult to get off.

My question is any of these things to worry about or normal on a keg?

I did have a lot of problems trying to seal first time and used a lot of keg lube to get it to seal

Used kegs can be pretty beaten up. I can't say I've seen any scratches inside mine but I also haven't looked that closely. The bottom certainly can be from the dip tube moving around when you tighten down the post. I've never had any issues with it though.

Not much of a price difference between a new keg and a reconditioned one. I think I paid 75 for the new keg land ones. I am all for a second hand bargain but some things are worth buying new

I had 2 reconditioned kegs recently and must admit I'm delighted with them. Never looked too closely for scratches, but they seal first time every time with no sealant / lube. Just check and if necessary, replace the rubber bits and keep up the cleaning / sanitation routine and you should be fine. The great thing is they're all stainless, so no danger of rust.

Latest posts

Back