Red Kite Super Pale - 12 day recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_beaut

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my latest recipe with you all. Started it a few days ago, so haven't had a chance to taste it yet but I'm fairly confident that it'll taste nice. Only issue is that I'm trying to brew start to finish in only 12 days!

Let me know what you think of the recipe. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a go at it. Will post some pics and a brief review when it's ready to drink. Cheers! :drink:

Red Kite Super Pale - 31st May 2016
ABV 4.7%

Maris Otter Pale 3.5 Kg
Light DME 0.5 Kg
Crystal Malt 0.25 Kg

Get brew kettle water to 70C, put lid on, turn off heat and mash for 60 mins keeping an eye on the temperature.

After mashing, bring to the boil and boil for 60 mins. Then add the following:

45 min Citra 14g
15 min Citra 14g
15 min Ahtahnum 14g
15 min Irish Moss 5g
0 min Citra 14g
0 min Ahtahnum 14g

Ferment for 6-7 days with Safale US-05

Transfer to secondary and dry hop for 2-3 days
Citra 14g
Ahtahnum 14g

Cold crash and use gelatin the following day to speed up clearing.

Day 3 - Looks darker in the photo for some reason but plenty of action

IMG_20160603_163440.jpg

Interesting you've got a 45min bittering addition rather than a 60 min one?
Yeah, I normally add bittering hops at 60mins. First brew I tried was the London Pride recipe on BYO, which I've tweaked a few times but generally stuck to the standard timings.

I wanted to try something a little different and read somewhere that 45 mins give a slight bitterness but avoids any potential harsh bitter taste. Hopefully this will go down well with some of the lager drinkers that frequent my shed!

It could do with having a liter or two more water in there I reckon. Hopefully I wont lose too much to the trub when it comes to transferring into secondary.

I'm starting to have a change of heart on this brew. Might give it another week instead of rushing it. Thinking of dry hopping in the keg too, instead of in the secondary but have never tried it. What do people think of dry hopping in the keg vs secondary? I'm also a bit worried about oxygen in the secondary but figured that I could add a little sugar into the secondary just to get the yeast working again to help push out the oxygen.

It's still pretty much the same, though the trub at the bottom has settled quite a lot, its much more comapct than before. Still a thick layer on the top though. Bubbles have pretty much stopped though now. Was planning a transfer to secondary tonight but undecided atm :hmm:

Well, I sacked off the 12 day brew idea and instead decided to secondary ferment for nearly 3 weeks. I transfered to the keg on 1st July and am going to dry hop in the keg tomorrow on 3rd July. I wouldn't normally open up a keg after carbing but I've been really short on time just lately. Will post some final result pics and taste reviews very soon!...Colour and aroma during transfer to keg was very nice though :smile:

Back