Red Wine bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I know red wine is supposed to go in dark bottles because the light affects it, but how important is it? I'm moving towards putting everything into 2ltr PET bottles. If they are stored in the dark (Cellar), then left in the light for a few days while I drink them, does it really matter?

Discolouration isn't going to be a problem over a period of a few days if it's been stored in the dark for most of the time.

If it's anything decent I would be more concerned about oxidation if left in an unfilled bottle for a few days, but if it was anything you had any respect for you probably wouldn't be asking about using 2 litre bottles in the first place.

PS: I use cider bottles with crown caps for some of my short-term juice wines.

I've only had slight discolouration once from sunlight when I left a bottle of plum wine on the kitchen window for a couple of weeks. The wine took on a slight brownish hue, still tasted okay though

With the Wines I have done I try not to bottle until I need too, C.J.J.Berry (awesome Chap) suggested the whole keeping it in DJ's until it is needed then bottling up the 6 or using Polypins, whilst Wineboxes might not be everybody's cup of tea(umm...) they certainly was effective, and not expensive.

It also meant that I could bottle the odd one or there for parties and the like if I felt like it, Is wine really the the sort of thing that should go into 2l PET's. Moley makes a good point, pouring wine from one doesn't seem quite cricket?

Moley said:
if it was anything you had any respect for you probably wouldn't be asking about using 2 litre bottles in the first place.

My problem is in sorting out all the snobbery from what really matters. Is a 2 ltr PET any different to a wine in a box? Corks seem to have lost favour in the industry now but some companies still persist in using a 'plastic' cork instead of a screw top. Is there any reason for this?

very fair point, it is certainly a bit snobby to insist, but why else does everybody like having swingtops, or crowncaps for the beer for example. PET's are bloody useful that is for sure, I am sure somebody said they withstand 100 psi too which makes them incredibly practical.

I don't think I would want to serve the mother in law from a PET, I can just about get away with the winebox. Hell if Mr Berry says its good then I am certainly not one to argue.

Would there not be an issue with excessive oxidation with 2 litre pet and wine... you surely wouldn't be drinking 4 pints of wine in an evening?? it would leave a lot of air in the top after?... ooh just read again what Moley said... feel quite good about that, he knows his onions far better than I

Does the light affect white wines too or anything else for that matter...??? My FV is sat in the kitchen all day, will that cause any negatives?

golder247 said:
... you surely wouldn't be drinking 4 pints of wine in an evening?? it would leave a lot of air in the top after?...

We can drink 2 litres over 3 days Thats 3 small glasses for the wife and the rest for me :oops:

My reds seem a bit better with a few hours to breathe.

bigred said:
My problem is in sorting out all the snobbery from what really matters. Is a 2 ltr PET any different to a wine in a box?
Yes, the bag in the box collapses as the wine is dispensed and doesn't leave a whacking great airspace above the wine.
bigred said:
Corks seem to have lost favour in the industry now but some companies still persist in using a 'plastic' cork instead of a screw top. Is there any reason for this?
Proper cork corks are making a comeback. They are actually ever so slightly gas permeable and can play an important role in the maturation of properly cellared wines, particularly robust reds which might be laid down for many years. Some of the cheaper plastic corks are just solid bungs but the better ones which look like a highly compressed foam are also micro-permeable, while screw caps allow no intereaction with air.

Take a look at this wiki page, corks for wine closures is about one third of the way down, and then follow through to this one on alternative wine closures and this one on ageing of wine.

By the way, I'm not a wine snob, I don't think I've ever in my life paid more than £10 for a commercial wine (and usually considerably less), and I prefer one Euro a bottle force-carbonated demi-sec plonk to true Champagne. I've already said that I use cider bottles and crown caps for some of my juice wines (which are knocked out in 3-6 months), but my reds in particular will probably be at least a year old before they ever get as far as a bottle and will then be cellared for considerably longer, so they will be treated with respect and get proper glass wine bottles with corks.

ah my missus will drink a bottle over 2 weeks whereas I find it far to easy to drink anything and end up guzzling most things as if it were squash. It's why I am ****** a lot I think :whistle:

I am looking forward to using my Cork corks though (moley ;) ) got my self a proper cork bottling gadget thing at the carboot for a quid. Winner! so I will get to make some proper plonk with proper noises and everything... gonna be a very cheap Xmas this year (everybody is getting booze as a gift)

Just curious, what reds are you making?? We like our reds here and it is always good to find out what others are having success with...

golder247 said:
Does the light affect white wines too or anything else for that matter...??? My FV is sat in the kitchen all day, will that cause any negatives?
What sort of FV? Clear or translucent?

Direct sunlight is probably best avoided for any brew but indirect daylight isn't a problem. I try to keep red wines in some of the more shaded corners or wrap their DJs with brown paper or black bin bags.

golder247 said:
Just curious, what reds are you making?? We like our reds here and it is always good to find out what others are having success with...
Blackberry, Elderberry, Damson and others of the plum family, occasionally raspberries or blackcurrants, or any combination of the above.

Some juice wine combinations using red grape juice.

I have 3 Translucent FV's standard youngs and a couple of boots fv's too.
TBH I am struggling a little with space until I finish building the Conservatory and the Lean to extension bit.
In spite of this I have a fair old chunk brewing now which will all need conditioning so will be having to find dark nooks and crannies to stash the invariably large amounts of DJ's and Bottles etc of booze that I am happily making. Gonna put another 2 brews by this weekend, I am resolved to never buying canned beer again. :)

The reds sound lovely, I have a great plum tree that I planted in my garden a few years ago, regardless of fruit abundance it does allow me to comment on people admiring touching or even sucking the juice from my big red plums, which frankly never fails to please me.

I heard on a wine based note that plum wine can be more difficult because of the pectins and haze or somesuch?? I also have 2 apple trees and did have the idea of plum and apple wine which would surely be good?

What recipes have you for the grape juice?

Red carton juice wines are just along the lines of the Wurzel's Orange method but using (for example) RGJ + Cranberry or Blueberry juice drinks, perhaps with an infusion of fruity ‘tea bags’ like Twining's raspberry, strawberry & loganberry. They only produce light reds / dark rosés but are quick and easy to make. I don't grow vines or make true grape wines.

The main problem with any types of plum is the waxy nature of their skins, which is why only cold water extraction methods should be used and they shouldn't be boiled.

Moley said:
By the way, I'm not a wine snob,

I didn't mean to suggest you were :oops:

I just meant that some of the common practices have come from people who are, and it can be difficult to sort out what really matters.

bigred said:
Corks seem to have lost favour in the industry now but some companies still persist in using a 'plastic' cork instead of a screw top. Is there any reason for this?

With more countries producing wine there is a growing shortage of good quality cork, cork used to be only taken from 8 year old trees, but now cork is being harvested from trees only 4 years old which can taint the wine.
Larger producers have turned to plastic and screw tops to keeps costs down

Back