Regulator Issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1anm

Reaction score
We received a regulator like this one recently:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-MIG-W...it-PUB-GAS-BOTTLES-Female-Thread/171575341369

It worked fine but made a high pitched squeak/sound when in use. I wasn't sure if this was normal so I contacted the seller.

They arranged a return/replacement. I received the replacement and it is very similar but a different brand.

The problem is this one also makes the same sound but even louder. I'm guessing this isn't normal but as it has happened twice now is the problem likely to be the co2 cylinder? Or am I just really unlucky and have received 2 faulty regulators?

We received a regulator like this one recently:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-MIG-W...it-PUB-GAS-BOTTLES-Female-Thread/171575341369

It worked fine but made a high pitched squeak/sound when in use. I wasn't sure if this was normal so I contacted the seller.

They arranged a return/replacement. I received the replacement and it is very similar but a different brand.

The problem is this one also makes the same sound but even louder. I'm guessing this isn't normal but as it has happened twice now is the problem likely to be the co2 cylinder? Or am I just really unlucky and have received 2 faulty regulators?
Regardless of the squeak,that is a Mig welding flow regulator with psi not accurate enough, these company's need to stop advertising them as suitable for homebrew pub bottles as it'll be way wide of the mark guesswork if you want to keg/ force carb properly

The picture is the Parweld regulator. I've got one, but don't use it now because I got something better (that's not "better" if you want an easy life). The Parweld one is okay (lots of brewers have them), can't speak for the others. I've never encountered squeaking, but they are not silent when releasing CO2. They are releasing gas at about 850PSI to maintain the set pressure of 10-60 PSI so some noise is inevitable.

My view is not as pessimistic as "Godsdog's" but welding regulators are pretty Neanderthal. But I could say the same for many "designed for purpose" regulators (for Pubs).

Won't solve your problem (if you've really got one?), but might help: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67424

the squeak is just the valves ultra thin edges vibrating as gas passes through think of it as a high pitched raspberry ;) not a problem just the particular dynamic of your reg.

the output dial issue however will need sorting you can replace the gauge, but they use a pretty convincing thread lock when manufacturing these things wo use a very snug exact fitting spanner/wrench and apply a levering pole, to remove the leaking gas in hose to my board i needed to use a 30cm long wrench and 5ft scafold tube lever extension to break the thread seal.

however you can also simply buy a T or Y 3 way JG fitting for your post regulator gas line and use the new output to feed a 2nd independent gauge, a 3/8" JG to 1/4"bsp female is a rare fitting but to a male bsp is more common and a 1/4"f/f barrel nipple is cheap enough ;) just use lots of ptfe on the threads..

Latest posts

Back