replacement malts for a US recipe I am trying, help please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio1one

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a US style IPA that calls for Breiss malts that I can't find.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the following, or alternatively a supply for them,

the recipe calls for the below.

16.5 lb Briess 2 Row
6 oz Honey Malt
3 oz Briess Crystal 10L

I'd replace the 2-row with any base malt, preferably not something like Maris Otter
Caragold or Carahell instead of crystal 10
Aromatic or melanoidin malt instead of the honey malt, not the same but apparently close

Breiss is an American malting company - unfortunately, they don't sell to individuals outside the US; they only deal with business customers.
RE Crystal 10L - this refers to degrees Lovibond, which is a measure of colour. 10°L is equal to EBC 20, so a crystal malt with EBC 20 should be right.
RE 2-row malt - there are different types of barley: 2-row and 6-row. Compared to 2-row, 6-row is higher in protein (gluten) which is desirable in baking break, but not in brewing. Brewers therefore use 2-row barley; it is, as mentioned, simple a generic American term for base malt - Maris Otter would be a good choice.
RE Honey malt - never heard of it, sorry.

Dennis

Here we are advised to use pilsner malt as a sub for American 2-row, not pale malt. Similarly, you may get better result with lager malt.

Thanks chaps, what about using Carahell then to replace the 10l crystal?

sounds like a good substitution to me.

OK so I have decided on the following

Breiss 2 row - Pilsner

Honey - Melanoidin

Breiss Crystal 10l - Carahell

any thoughts on those subs?

I was intrigued by the Honey Malt, and there seems to be a lot of somewhat conflicting information on it.
I came across a thread on another forum where someone how has used Honey Malt as well as Melanoidin Malt states that Honey Malt is most definitely NOT equal to Melanoidin Malt. The thread is here.

There is a lot of mention of a German malt called Brumalt, but I can't seem to find that in the UK either.

Then, further on in the same thread I mentioned before, there is a quote from Weissheimer Malz's website, saying that bruhmalt/bruh malt is equal to melanoidin...

The company that makes the Honey malt is Gambrinus Malting Corporation, a Canadian company. Here's how they describe Honey Malt on their website:

"Honey malt (15 – 20 L). This malt is similar in style to German “brumalt,” but with its honey-like taste and residual sweetness, it really doesn’t compare to any other malt. Best used in brown ales, porters and stouts."

Not sure where that leaves you...

Dennis

Me and all! I had a similar problem with a recipe that used Victory malt, though the info on that one did seem a little less conflicting!

I'm starting to think I should start a business that imports foreign speciality ingredients...

Dennis

I'm just going to make the beer with what I've bought and then adjust it for malt next time I brew it if I am not happy with the flavour.

dennisdk2000 said:
I was intrigued by the Honey Malt, and there seems to be a lot of somewhat conflicting information on it.
I came across a thread on another forum where someone how has used Honey Malt as well as Melanoidin Malt states that Honey Malt is most definitely NOT equal to Melanoidin Malt. The thread is here.

There is a lot of mention of a German malt called Brumalt, but I can't seem to find that in the UK either.

Then, further on in the same thread I mentioned before, there is a quote from Weissheimer Malz's website, saying that bruhmalt/bruh malt is equal to melanoidin...

The company that makes the Honey malt is Gambrinus Malting Corporation, a Canadian company. Here's how they describe Honey Malt on their website:

"Honey malt (15 – 20 L). This malt is similar in style to German “brumalt,” but with its honey-like taste and residual sweetness, it really doesn’t compare to any other malt. Best used in brown ales, porters and stouts."

Not sure where that leaves you...

Dennis

I had a damn good look at this before as I'm a big fan of honey beer, but it comes down to this; probably time to forget about it.

You can't get it here, Brumalt and Honey Malt appeared to be the same thing, importation was way too expensive on 1kg of the stuff and I've seen plenty of threads slandering it for a sickly, garbage-like taste.

whilst there's no substitute for it, I'd be happy with some caragold, a high mash temp, and real honey. :cheers:

studio1one - I'd stick with your original plan, maybe brew a small batch first time. If it turns out right - great! If you need to tweek it, at least you'll know more about what needs changing! Small brews are a great way to work out a clone recipe, but the down-side is that it's pretty much the same amount of work as a full batch, only you'll have saved a bit on ingredients! I should know - I only brew 1 gallon at a time due to space restrictions!

Let us know how it turns out!

Dennis

Latest posts

Back