Ribs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Lovely sunny day in S London show just slapped on 2 massive racks of babybacks to smoke. One lot rubbed in Angus and Oink the General and the other lot Chinese style salt and pepper. Now reclining in brewcave with sun steaming through and the sweet smell of smouldering oak whiskey barrel.
20210319_140823.jpg

Lovely sunny day in S London show just slapped on 2 massive racks of babybacks to smoke. One lot rubbed in Angus and Oink the General and the other lot Chinese style salt and pepper. Now reclining in brewcave with sun steaming through and the sweet smell of smouldering oak whiskey barrel.View attachment 43485
Those look ace do you get them from a butcher

Oooh, I can do a good things from Covid and ribs anecdote!

The local butchers had some ribs on display a while back, so I bought some and cooked them up the BBQ. I went back a few times after and got more. Then covid hit and things went crazy and I went to the butchers and asked for some ribs and he said "I'm sorry, we've sold out of the ones you normally get and only have the big ones left". Turns out the big ones were a hell of a lot better - much more meat on them - and I'd have missed out had it not been for covid.

I now want ribs.

How are the Angus and Oink rubs? Seen them around a lot recently but they look pretty spenny for a jar of spices!

Oooh, I can do a good things from Covid and ribs anecdote!

The local butchers had some ribs on display a while back, so I bought some and cooked them up the BBQ. I went back a few times after and got more. Then covid hit and things went crazy and I went to the butchers and asked for some ribs and he said "I'm sorry, we've sold out of the ones you normally get and only have the big ones left". Turns out the big ones were a hell of a lot better - much more meat on them - and I'd have missed out had it not been for covid.

I now want ribs.

How are the Angus and Oink rubs? Seen them around a lot recently but they look pretty spenny for a jar of spices!

Only tried a couple of rubs so far and they have been good. As with most things went a bit OTT on latest order to get free delivery.price wise seem dear but actually they are the equivalent of 5 jars if Sharwoods jars of individual spices weight wise so not much in it. And they look cool.

161616923709236810662050602495.jpg

I love meat but as the others at home don't really bother that much buying lots is a bit of a waste.

Yep some of these larger cuts really need a crowd around / decentbplan for leftovers

Did a 2kg pork shoulder for pulling the other week - it was 12 quid and after having a meal off it my eldest had it on brioche buns for lunch every day all week.

I love meat but as the others at home don't really bother that much buying lots is a bit of a waste.

I’m starting to worry about what happens when No.2 son goes to Uni in the Autumn as the ladies in the house prefer white meat.
(I was excluding the dog from ’the ladies’ and I’m not going to start sharing BBQ pork cuts or Tomahawks with her no matter how hard she begs)

Anyone ever try jacobs ladder beef ribs
One of the the lads brought them camping last year some serious meat on them

Anyone ever try jacobs ladder beef ribs
One of the the lads brought them camping last year some serious meat on them
One of my favourite cuts. My favourite way is to slow cook for 24-36hrs, make a ragu and then shred the beef into it. Serve with shop bought pasta if my teenage daughter can’t be persuaded to make some fresh stuff (fortunately, hasn’t happened too often so far). They‘re not as well suited for a pick up and eat off the BBQ type meal. But lamb ribs on the other hand are amazing that way.

Here‘s a full beef rib in all its glory, cooked by No2 son a couple of weeks ago.
45CA1B22-B9B8-4BD9-9788-F24157ABCF12.jpeg

I’m starting to worry about what happens when No.2 son goes to Uni in the Autumn as the ladies in the house prefer white meat.
(I was excluding the dog from ’the ladies’ and I’m not going to start sharing BBQ pork cuts or Tomahawks with her no matter how hard she begs)
How do you cook your tomahawks. I was just on looking at one's.

Back