Rich bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be working on my best bitter. I've an idea to put several malts in and see what happens, we shall see.

3750 maris otter
150 amber - for feignt coffee flavour and colour
200 crystal 120 - for that toffee flavour and nose I love
150 crystal wheat - for a biscuity, malty flavour
50 cara 20 - just a little to give extra depth to the crytal 120
50 torrified wheat - Probably not needed but a little what the hay!

ekg & fuggles

Nottingham yeast

Not sure how it will turn out. I'd like it to be sweet, full and a bit malty. but the only malt here I've used before is maris otter and caramalt 20.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and experience with the malts maybe I should put a little more in or less etc...

I was thinking:
60mins
ekg: 36g
fuggles: 40g

15mins
ekg: 10g
fuggles: 15g

what about a late hopping in the fv? Can anyone suggest an amount??

What about using ekg for 15mins, then fuggles at switch off???

so as to get more of an ekg flavour but fuggles aroma????

Rob
I too like a malty tasting beer rather than a hoppy one.
My max hopping rate is a total of 60 gms per 23 ltrs.
40 gms at boil start and 20 gms for last 15 mins.
I,ve found that darker malts tend towards the "Guiness" flavour, very nice if that's what you want.
Make your mash temp a max of 66C else you tend towards dryness.
Best of luck with your brew (thumb)

the grain bill, mmmmmmm
DSC01309.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

Mash on, time to put some pics up to make life easier later.
DSC01311.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Word cannot express how ****** off I am. Just checked temp after mash and turns out I was reading the wrong scale. The F scale goes up to 100, then only shows in tens ie: 60, 70. So I read that and didnt see the C scale. So looks like I mashed at about 75c. So ****** off.

Fortunately i have enough grains left to still do a brew... but only 16 litres, better than nowt. I need to leave the house by 5.00 however and new mash started at 1.00......
sparge at 2.00
start boil at 3.00
start cool at 4.00

probably wont get to tidy up after myself

Ha Ha! thats an old sleeping bag but the cushion.... you didnt see the cushion. ;)

I'm going to make a clear mark on the thermometer now so it doesnt happen again. Luckily I had the spare grains so I've salvaged a brew. Unfortunately that means I cant do the wheat beer I wanted to this weekend but nevermind. Sure I can pick up some more grain soon.

Thanks Jim,

No rush now, I only need a bit of maris otter and I can get that local. Really looking forward to trying this one. Only 16 litres but It looks good so far. We shall see.

I saved 2 litres and pitched some yeast just to see. I did a brew at 70 once and that was rubbish. ended up at 2.7% and very thick and sweet.

the 2 litres i saved I tasted today and :sick: :sick: :sick: really strong burnt treacle flavour.....

the 16 litres I did well have been bottled and taste good. A couple of weeks and I'll taste one. First impressions good.

Latest posts

Back