Right, took the plunge!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egon

Reaction score
Hiyall!

Today i made up a grand cru (kit form). A brewferm grand cru to be precise. I added my 500g of sugar, got the temperature to about right, added my yeasties and put the lid on. Easy enough!

(waiting 10 days however isnt going to be easy, let alone the 8-10 weeks ageing!!!)

Questions though are bugging me.....

after the 10 days, i put it into bottles via my bottler, adding one carbonation drop per bottle,yes?
Then effectively the second fermentation happens in the bottles, with the carbonation drop adding sugar to make it fizzy?
What temperature do i have to keep the bottles at? room temperature or can i put them in the (beer) fridge?

Sorry about the novice questions, but i've bought a little bottler, a second hand fv to put it onto, a load of bottles, caps, capper, drops and what have you, just didnt want to make 500ml hand grenades...! :D

I did the Brewferm Triple, with Candi sugar - to Aleman's instructions in the "how to section" :thumb:

500g for the initial fv, then a further 90g for the bottles (into the 2nd fv with the triple mixed on to - called batch priming, as you prime the whole batch of beer - does the same as each bottle individually).

The amount of carb drops per bottle depends on the size of the bottle - i've used 2 for a
Litre bottle - the dose is on the back. I found 1 drop for 375ml, 2 drops for
750ml iirc - but i don't have bottles at this size - so i use brewing sugar for
Priming.

But yes, 2ndary fermentarion happens inmthe bottle (or keg), or force carbonate with cornies
:drink:

Cheers Guy, just wanted to make sure i was doing it right, as 10 weeks is a long time to wait for drain cleaner if i make it wrong!! :D

This is a 9 litre kit? if so 90g seems a lot for secondary. I usually use that amount in 20l+ batches.

guyb said:
a further 90g for the bottles (into the 2nd fv with the triple mixed on to - called batch priming, as you prime the whole batch of beer - does the same as each bottle individually).

The amount of carb drops per bottle depends on the size of the bottle
I'm probably stating the bleedin' obvious, but that's an either / or.

Either batch prime or use your carb. drops, but not both.

Moley said:

ah, i see. not both. that could have got messy!!! :)

Its happily bubbling away in the spare room now...which now smells fantastic! :)
Might have a go at the candy sugar "how to" on the guides, that seems like a good idea. :)

Egon said:
Moley said:

ah, i see. not both. that could have got messy!!! :)

Its happily bubbling away in the spare room now...which now smells fantastic! :)
Might have a go at the candy sugar "how to" on the guides, that seems like a good idea. :)

Yes quite correct, apologies - either batch prime, or bottle prime - not both :D

Egon said:

If you decide to follow Aleman's "how to" you won't go wrong. You can keep it in suspension, or you can let it set like I did and use a silicone cake tin mould to pour it in right out of the pan (it won't melt it) - these silicone cake tin moulds are a couple of quid from the cheapie shops like B&M, a little dearer from ASDA or Argos.

Once set I froze it in an airtight container until i needed it, or you can keep it in liquid form to save you having to melt it again (I did mine about an hour before Aleman posted otherwise I'd have kept it in liquid form).

Mine was a 12L kit iirc - hence the 90g of candi sugar for bottling (as per the instructions).

Only a few weeks before I will try it :cheers:

guyb said:
Only a few weeks before I will try it :cheers:

mmmm, enjoy! I cant wait!
I can feel myself looking at stuff at work (work in a food factory--everything is stainless!) thinking "hmm, what can i use that for?" :grin:

Yup, youre right! gah, i'll get my head round this before long!! LOL!!

20 Pints...what threw me is that i bought 36 bottles, and they were 500ml, making 18L, which i worked out to be 31 (imperial) pints!!
I imagine 20L of grand cru would make for a spectacular evening!! :D

Um, ah. I dont think my yeast survived. I think i might have put it in a bit hotter than i should and it doesnt look to be doing a lot. :(

Well, after worrying that i'd killed the yeast, it had survived. yay....i opened a bottle at the halfway stage to,um, er, quality check that i hadnt made 20 bottles of drain cleaner....

500ml of grand cru later and my feet failed to work...:D Bit of a yeasty twang to it smell wise, but tastes fab. EVIL alcohol levels...:) :rofl: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back