Ringwood to be flogged off!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan...I was on holiday in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago and I was moaning that they had the Sharps range in the bar at the park we stayed at..
Not sure why the Mrs then bought me a bottle of Doombar and Speckled Hen on father's DayšŸ¤”

I also like Old speckled Hen i guess i am too used to drinking stuff in the 4 for Ā£6 range at TESCO :laugh8:

Last edited:
Hi, sad to hear Ringwood is being flogged but hopefully some enterprising consortium snatch it up. Big Beer may grap it but just don't try and fix wot ain't broke!
Old Thumper did definitely get an ABV reduction many years ago, the taste was almost the same but that big 6% made a difference, takes more pints to get the legs to stop working properly now.

Old Thumper did definitely get an ABV reduction many years ago, the taste was almost the same but that big 6% made a difference, takes more pints to get the legs to stop working properly now.
As I get older, I'm finding the reduced ABV to be a good thing. I can't enjoy as many glasses of beer these days as I used to without feeling the effects, so reducing the ABV means I can enjoy the beer more. I was in America at the start of the year where all beers seemed to be 8-10% ABV. I had 2 'pints' on the first night and felt dreadful in the following morning's meetings asad1

To be fair I can't remember when I started drinking Ringwood and Black sheep beers.. probably would have been in early 2000's. Being in Kent I think I have mostly had them in bottle and I would agree I haven't noticed much of a change with Ringwood beers from memory and still enjoy them. It's a shame in the current climate that newer craft breweries or traditional independents were bought out for whatever reason but could be lost altogether if a deal can't be done.
I thought that bottled Ringwood beers were all brewed and bottled at Wychwood Brewery?

Only cask stuff was being brewed at Ringwood.

As I get older, I'm finding the reduced ABV to be a good thing. I can't enjoy as many glasses of beer these days as I used to without feeling the effects, so reducing the ABV means I can enjoy the beer more. I was in America at the start of the year where all beers seemed to be 8-10% ABV. I had 2 'pints' on the first night and felt dreadful in the following morning's meetings asad1
8-20% is a bit bonkers. Nice for a treat now and then on their own but not as part of a 'few beers' one evening. Still love Old Thumper , still good, just different subtly. Maybe the bottle is like the old stuff šŸ¤”.
It was called Thumper for a reason.....šŸ˜‡

8-20% is a bit bonkers. Nice for a treat now and then on their own but not as part of a 'few beers' one evening. Still love Old Thumper , still good, just different subtly. Maybe the bottle is like the old stuff šŸ¤”.
It was called Thumper for a reason.....šŸ˜‡
The Old Thumper was a pig at the old brewery before they moved to Christchurch Rd. They had a portrait of it hanging over the pub of the same name in Westbourne before the name was changed to The Porterhouse. It used to be a spendid pint. Haven't had it for a while- I thnk it's been watered down- but I shall seek it out. Or brew some of my own.

The Old Thumper was a pig at the old brewery before they moved to Christchurch Rd. They had a portrait of it hanging over the pub of the same name in Westbourne before the name was changed to The Porterhouse. It used to be a spendid pint. Haven't had it for a while- I thnk it's been watered down- but I shall seek it out. Or brew some of my own.
Yea the whole wild boar images and connotations come from their being situated in the New Forest, just a lucky happenstance it also refers to a fuzzy brain caused by fun with beer I guess. I know the Porterhouse in Westborne, being based in Poole myself. As for brewing a clone, šŸ‘ , I should start a list of those I want to butcher myself. šŸ¤£

Yea the whole wild boar images and connotations come from their being situated in the New Forest, just a lucky happenstance it also refers to a fuzzy brain caused by fun with beer I guess. I know the Porterhouse in Westborne, being based in Poole myself. As for brewing a clone, šŸ‘ , I should start a list of those I want to butcher myself. šŸ¤£
If you're in Poole, I'd recommend you have a look in at the Ex-Serviceman's Club on North Road, run by Mark Ambrose, or used to be. He keeps an excellent pint and has several beer festivals a year. Really is worth a look in. The atmosphere is what you'd expect. The beer is excellent. I haven't been for a while, but I think he's still there.

If you're in Poole, I'd recommend you have a look in at the Ex-Serviceman's Club on North Road, run by Mark Ambrose, or used to be. He keeps an excellent pint and has several beer festivals a year. Really is worth a look in. The atmosphere is what you'd expect. The beer is excellent. I haven't been for a while, but I think he's still there.
I've heard good things about that place, will pay a visit ta

Back