Rye PA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimp2003

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I brewed an IPA so I put the following together to try a couple of things..

a. my first experience using rye malt - I have another 500g I could add if anyone thinks I should

b. my first attempt at using english hops in the way you might use US hops in an American IPA - I have more of the EKG if needed...

The brewmate software has this finishing at 1.016 which I think is a little bit high so I might mash a bit lower to get more fermentability.

As ever any advice or suggestions are appreciated :D

Rye PA (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.19 %
Colour (SRM): 7.1 (EBC): 14.0
Bitterness (IBU): 55.6 (Average)

86.02% Pale Malt
7.17% Rye Malt
3.58% Torrified Wheat
3.23% Crystal

70g Challenger (6.1% Alpha) @ 75 Minutes (First Wort)
30g East Kent Goldings - A C Hulme (311) Sample No. 185 (5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
50g East Kent Goldings - A C Hulme (311) Sample No. 185 (5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
50g East Kent Goldings - A C Hulme (311) Sample No. 185 (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
50g East Kent Goldings - A C Hulme (311) Sample No. 185 (5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 75 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I'm learning AG and Brewmate at the moment. Your recipe gives the grain in percentages what weights would you use please, and why express them in % is that just so folks can make bigger or smaller brews and still keep to the style of the original recipe ?

Hi piddledribble.

When I export the recipe brewmate shows the hops in g/l and the fermentables as percentages and I guess I should leave it like this so that others can easily scale the recipe up or down. But I always change the hops to the total weight at each stage but only because I don't like reading it the g/l way.

For my brew the weights of fermentables are:

Pale Malt 6kg
Rye Malt 500g
Torrified Wheat 250g
Crystal 225g

Hope this helps.

am much obliged to you ( was trying to figure a way of inputing percentages into BrewMate... :oops: )

I've never used rye malt, but it sounds interesting.

I've done a similar hop schedule for 23L brew length using 80g of fuggles at 90mins (40IBU) then Goldings 40g at 20mins (12.5IBU), 40g at 10mins (7.5IBU) and 40g at flame out. It resulted in a very fruity and very nice beer, but I'm not sure I would use so much again.

Prepare yourself for stuck sparge, rye malt is very high in gummy beta glucans. To get any better experience with rye malt, keep mash as close to 80c as you can during sparging.

Back