s-04 or kit yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
Hello Brewsters. A St peters ipa arrived in the post yesterday and will get it on the go tomorrow. (thank you brew).
I'm not sure why but i ordered some safale s-o4 at the same time. Is there any benefit of using this yeast over the one provided in the kit? I'm also going to rehydrate the dried yeast for the first time as i don't think my previous brews have fermented out properly and this will help.

Happy Brewing :cheers:

I would say yes, the yeast supplied with kits is usually very basic to keep costs down. I have found with most kits if you take extra care with clenliness, treat your water with half a campden tablet, ferment the wort at the correct temperature with a decent yeast you're going to brew a decent beer.

:cheers:

Update
Went with the s-04 and rehydrated before use. After 24 hours have a head like not before. Not just a head of foam but a thing of crazy shapes. Pleased :grin: . Would love to see it growing with time lapse photography.
Laters brewers

orange said:
Update
Went with the s-04 and rehydrated before use. After 24 hours have a head like not before. Not just a head of foam but a thing of crazy shapes. Pleased :grin: . Would love to see it growing with time lapse photography.
Laters brewers

How's it progressing?

S04 also comes in sachets around twice the weight of the supplied kit yeast and likely enjoys a higher percentage viability.

Latest posts

Back