S30 or 8gram CO2 Valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there would be interested in feedback as to which most people find best value between the S30 or 8gram CO2 valves?
I for example don't drive and would either have to. A) get bus or train to travel approx 10/12 miles to the shop to get the Hambleton Bard cylinder refilled.
B) send it via courier to the shop to get refilled (which advertises at £5. But I don't know if that is just the cylinder being filled or includes postage back to me also. I somehow suspect it be the former)
C) or just buy boxes of the small C)2 8 gram bulbs
D) anyone know on average how many bulbs you would need for a typical 5 gallon barrel
E) or how many barrels you would on average get from a full Hambleton Barb Cylinder

Thank you :cheers:

s30 is better vfm by far, unfortunatly its impossible to say how much co2 you will use per pb as it depends on not just the conditioning sugars available to ferment under pressure and create the condition the volume and headspace, but also depends on the serving temp and rate.

IIRC i would imagine with less than 3 pressure barrels an s30 bottle should last over a year barring leaks n accidents ;) bulbs?? its been a while but id guess at 0-2 per slowly poured pb and upto one per round during a heavy session??

poured less rapidly the beer will just replace the drawn beer volume with relinquished co2 due to re-balancing loosing a tad of condition in the process, this may or may not become noticable.. i you pour rapidly during a session, well, there will be no time for a natural re-balance of pressure so more co2 will be needed to stop the dreaded "Glug of DEATH" where the pressure drops and air bubbles back up the tap...

Latest posts

Back