Sake recipe please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kybren

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have a good saki recipe I fancy trying to brew some but every place I look has a different way of doing it, so any help would be appreciated, cheers

This is one of the easier recipes i have found, has anyone any advice? Might give it a go in the next few weeks.

Ingredients
  • 2.5 pounds rice (husked or raw)
  • 1/2 pint grape concentrate or 1 pound of light raisins
  • 7 pints hot water
  • 2.5 pounds corn sugar or honey
  • 3 teaspoons acid blend
  • 3/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient (energizer)
  • 1 Campden tablet
  • 1 package sherry yeast

Instructions
  1. Wash and coarsely crush rice.
  2. Place rice and chopped raisins in nylon straining bag, tie top, and place in primary fermentation container.
  3. Pour hot water over rice and stir in all ingredients except yeast and nutrient. Don’t forget the grape concentrate if not using raisins.
  4. Wait 48 hours.
  5. Add yeast and energizer and cover primary fermentor.
  6. Stir daily, checking specific gravity and pressing pulp lightly.
  7. When gravity reaches 1.050 (after 2-3 days), add 1/4 pound of dissolved sugar or honey per gallon.
  8. When gravity drops to 1.030 (after 6-7 days), strain juice from bag.
  9. Siphon wine into secondary fermentation container and attach airlock.
  10. At a specific gravity (SG) of 1.020, add another 1/4 pound of dissolved sugar or honey per gallon.
  11. When fermentation is complete (at a SG of 1.000 or less), siphon off into a clean secondary container and attach airlock.
  12. Siphon every 2 months to aid in clearing.
  13. Bottle when fermentation ceases or when ready.

While I'm sure that recipe will be drinkable it won't be anything like real sake. You need koji spores for the rice.

Yeah I have read a bit about koji but couldnt see if it was just koji rice or koji spores, then what yeast to use

This is a decent watch if you're interested in the sake-making process:

If I could reliably make good sake I would, it's one of my favourite drinks and good quality stuff is prohibitively expensive over here. Unfortunately I think it's too difficult to do properly.

Back