Sanitising Thermometer and Hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said you can't be to careful ;)
I 'm taking it all in, am off to wilcos soon, like the idea and will come in useful later this month. Like the bit about drinking the sample :D

but is a hydrometer in the bucket really not on
Come on A whats your thinking :)

In the interest of forum harmony, this thread has been edited by THBF admin team.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
evanvine said:
Do you not think thats a tad extreem?
I thought that. :shock:

You've just obviously not worked in a laboratory environment practicing good sterile technique before. In my microbiology days everything got flamed. Simple.

Aleman said:
I'll post a 'best practice' method of using a hydrometer in a bit . . . it is a bl**dy silly procedure though :lol:
Please do, it could make interesting reading, even if we do choose to continue with our bad habits.

In the interest of forum harmony, this post has been edited by THBF admin team.

At the end of the day brewing is micro biology and too many of us probably fly the seat of our pants until we come a cropper and have to throw 60l away. It is a painful lesson. More painful as i run out of beer next weekend and my replacement brew will not be ready for bottling until next week, so no beer for a week or supermarket sh*te. :nono: :nono:

In the interest of forum harmony, this post has been edited by THBF admin team.

"Brewing beer is microbiology", however, it is also a craft & an art, and some can do it and some can't, and some people make amazing beers in less than Ideal conditions.

If a totally sterile environment works for you then great, if a dirty of bin works then great too.

UP

Back