Scam call

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My actual bank called me years ago and asked me to confirm my details. I declined, I asked how do I know it’s actually you? There was a pause, “good point, can you call us back!” I did and it was a legit call.

Cannot be too careful!

If you do call your bank ,if they called you on the landline, use your mobile ,as if they don't end the call you end up still speaking to the scammers and you think its the bank .

I'm convinced that there is a database of older people that gets sold to these b@stards. I moved in with my grandfather during covid and his phone would ring a few times a day from them.

My actual bank called me years ago and asked me to confirm my details. I declined, I asked how do I know it’s actually you? There was a pause, “good point, can you call us back!” I did and it was a legit call.

Cannot be too careful!
You have to be careful with this one too.

In the past scammers asked people to do just that, but then didn’t hang up at their end. If you didn’t check for a ring tone, you were pressing buttons while the line stayed active and they swapped out the person at the other end of the call.

I'm convinced that there is a database of older people that gets sold to these b@stards. I moved in with my grandfather during covid and his phone would ring a few times a day from them.

We are with TalkTalk and have free call screening we haven't had a nuisance call in years.
1688896941598.png

Register here - Telephone Preference Service
It doesn't stop them all but is better than nothing.

If you are getting lots of calls get one of these we looked at a Truecall when we were getting lots then TT gave us the free option -

1688897589221.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33493827...EhQfJV4inFkXP0e6440i4ngKv21G|tkp:BFBMjNWLoqdi
It is fully configurable so you can choose how you want calls to be managed and can also block outgoing calls to certain numbers. With the optional Call Recorder memory card you can even record the calls.

• Blocks unwanted calls but lets through calls from friends and family
  • Monitor calls online
  • No need to change your telephones
  • Easy to use – no special codes to learn or buttons to press
  • In independent trials trueCall blocked 98% of nuisance calls – three times as many as the next best blocker
  • Special dementia setting to give 100% protection, and works with our restricted telephone service
  • Works on all home phone lines
  • Used by over 100 local authorities in the UK
  • As seen on Dragons’ Den
  • Personalise the greetings
  • Easy to install – just plug it in between the phone and phone socket
  • Compatible with pendant alarm systems
  • Up to 1,000 numbers on your Trusted Caller list*
  • Use the existing corded or cordless phone
  • You can go onto the Internet from your home or work to view the call log and make changes to the trusted callers list and other settings. Online access is free for the first year then £25 per year
  • Works best with the caller-ID service from your telephone network
  • Multi award winning design from the UK
"Every time the phone rings, it’s a friend or a family member. This little unit has blocked 87 spam calls in the last 3 weeks. I’m really really happy with it.

*Please note - Caller ID needs to be live on the line for some of the blocking services to work

Bt do a "calblocker" phone that does the same.

Better still get rid of the line all together, we have gone on to broadband only. Much cheaper too.

Better still get rid of the line all together, we have gone on to broadband only. Much cheaper too.

Many older folk are not up to speed with technology so rely on a landline they also need them for panic alarms.

As FTTP becomes more widespread the use of landlines will decline i think most of us will be connected to FTTP by the copper switch off date in 2025 -

Is BT removing copper lines?
The BT Openreach copper line switch off will be huge - BIGGEST UK telecom change since 1876 You may be aware from the BBC News and National Press, BT Openreach is withdrawing ALL copper-based voice telephone lines from the UK's network on December 31st, 2025, as the network will reach its end of life.

How can you block it when it comes up as private number?

I haven't a clue i never give my mobile phone number to anyone so i never get these calls, maybe change her mobile number and make sure she only gives it to trusted people.

Latest posts

Back