Scam call

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FTTP by the copper switch off date in 2025 -

Lol. As much as I would love FTTP, I doubt it will happen for me. I am at the end of a copper 20 pair. 1.5miles from FTTC.

Watch this space.

Ps. We also have NoG not 4G. So the BT (ee) "have a 4G router" does not work either! 😁😁

Last edited:
You can operate blocking as a white list. so any caller that doesn't give their mobile is blocked. then the number that is given can be matched against your contacts list.

Also not giving out your number helps but scammers can still 'war dial' using automated systems 0797......001 , 0797.....002, 0797.......003 , etc. I thought there was a plan to for this to be rendered impossible. 🤔 If companies do this they can be fined, but they can close down and start a new company up.

"Can you tell me more" is one of my responses or I say "wait a mo" and leave them hanging when I get such a call. Either way takes up THEIR time and slows down their next call.

I black list numbers all the time on me iphone. unfortunately most times i register for things on the internet i use my mobile number. I don't even have a home phone plugged in and on FTTP. i simply filter calls using my answer phone message.
If i don't know the number i let it goto my answering machine. where they are told that calls are filtered. leave a meassge or you number will be blocked perminently. you still get lagit eejots not leaving messages but i'd rather do without them also. then i just block that number.

I do a similar think with "quick response" text messages. Unfamiliar numbers get "please text me" type text, shuts the phone up & solves the problem.

Turned my answer phone off, "it's me" used to wind me up.

I do like your idea of "hello you are through to the spam filter please announce yourself and the reason for the call" in a mechanical voice.... Hmmm.... A really bad Max headroom... Hmmm.

Last edited:
I get scam calls on pretty much a daily basis, always from 'Three'. If I'm in a hurry I just tell them to f**k off but, if I have time I start by asking them what the weather is like in whichever town they are pretending to call from, then go on to how I used to know the manager of the branch they work in and how they had to leave in a hurry and generally just spin them along for as long as I can. Can be quite a lot of fun.
I had a text one once from someone pretending to be my child. Kept that going all afternoon... Here's the screen shots
IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

Latest posts

Back