Screw top

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Majik

Reaction score
Evening all

After a little weekend gathering i have a box load of those little beer bottles with the twist off caps. Has anynone capped them with a normal capper? Would it work? Im not fussed if the new caps would twist off or not, is just reliably putting them on im intersted in.

Merci

I have never tried to use them myself because I always read that they don't hold a good seal with standard caps. That alone scared me off. That and over here in the US, most good beer only comes in non-twist offs ;-)

I have no experience of these bottles but what sort of capper do you have? A bench capper is the most likely to be successful.

Bench cappers are much more expensive but apparently there are some bottles (Wychwood such as Hobgoblin) that the other types can't handle. I think the bench capper is much better at bending the cap around the top.

I don't think there are many beers in the UK that come with screw tops - at least not in the quality ale section.

Worth investing then!

Im notmin the UK, here in france nearly all little 25cl bottles are screw top. A rite pain the "fesse"

rpt said:
Bench cappers are much more expensive but apparently there are some bottles (Wychwood such as Hobgoblin) that the other types can't handle.

I have just used some Wychwood bottles an can confirm the Emily style capper does struggle with these but will do it.
Only problem is it leaves a circular dent in the top of the cap!!!
But they do seal ;)

+1 on the bench capper. I had the Emily style and somehow sheared off the neck of a bottle I was trying to cap. Threw the capper away and promptly ordered a bench style. Well worth the extra brass.

Yeah, crown caps will just not fit onto a screw-cap bottle. I learned this after inheriting a load of American beer bottles!

Ok, giving up on the screw top bottles. Still investing in a bench capper though.

I found a beer here that has a 25s with a "normal" captop so thats what im drinking at the moment

Thanks for the input :thumb:

Drink pelforth which is delicious and has big brown flip top bottles

benj said:
Drink pelforth which is delicious and has big brown flip top bottles

Right ahead of you benj, our weekly shop includes a few pelforth 650's with the flip top and a pack of their 250's as their normally 2 for 1 in carrefour. Got quite a collection :D

Back